My first bottling: priming sugar question

My first bottling day will be coming up in a couple of days and I had a question about the amount of priming sugar. Using this calculator here: (

) with a CO2 of 2.2 (recommended for an Irish Red) it’s saying 3.9 oz. of corn sugar.

First question: my kit from NB that included 5oz. of “priming sugar” is corn sugar and not table sugar correct?

Second question: I don’t have a scale to measure that 3.9oz. so would it be terrible if I used the entire 5oz.? Would it be over-carbed?

[quote=“mattnaik”]My first bottling day will be coming up in a couple of days and I had a question about the amount of priming sugar. Using this calculator here: (

) with a CO2 of 2.2 (recommended for an Irish Red) it’s saying 3.9 oz. of corn sugar.

First question: my kit from NB that included 5oz. of “priming sugar” is corn sugar and not table sugar correct?

Second question: I don’t have a scale to measure that 3.9oz. so would it be terrible if I used the entire 5oz.? Would it be over-carbed?[/quote]

It would be overcarbed it you used all 5oz. One of the things that makes an Irish Red is a soft/silky carb, which makes it really drinkable.

You are correct, the priming sugar is (or should be) corn sugar.

Also, will your scale measure to 4oz? Add it slowly until it hits 4 (or 1/4 lb), then pull out about a tablespoon. Good enough for government work.

Enjoy your first batch (in about 3 weeks)!

[quote=“mattnaik”]My first bottling day will be coming up in a couple of days and I had a question about the amount of priming sugar. Using this calculator here: (

Second question: I don’t have a scale to measure that 3.9oz. so would it be terrible if I used the entire 5oz.? Would it be over-carbed?[/quote]

I imagine what you have would be dextrose (corn sugar). It would look more like powdered sugar than table sugar.

I would recomend only adding the amount that you need for your desired carbonation. However I have never done a NB kit, so it is possible they intend you to use all of it.

Just look up what 3.9oz would be in dry measure and use a measuring cup.

I used to always just eye ball those 5oz package of sugar. I know, I know… it’s not the technical way to do things but just dump what looks to be 4/5 of a package in.

This is what I would tend to do.

First of all, you can call 4oz close enough. You could call 3.75oz close enough as well. So if you eyeball it to between 3/4 and 4/5 the package you should be fine.

If you want to be more accurate, spread out the sugar on a flat surface into a rectangle that is 10cm long on one side. Make sure to spread it to an even height. Then, using a ruler measure 78mm (0.39oz is 78% of 5 oz) along the side of the rectangle. Discard everything beyond the 78mm mark. It’s not as accurate as using a scale, but it will get you surprisingly close.

This is what I would tend to do.[/quote]

I agree with these guys. I used to buy kits with 5 oz. corn sugar & assumed i should use it all. Had a few that became overcarbed. Been using the calculator & a digital scale(only about $35) & it has made a world of difference. I use the scale for grains, hops, etc… so it’s a great investment. :slight_smile:

Hey mattnaik,

I could not agree more with the others that a scale is a great tool to have. Of course many more experienced brewers can do this from eyeballing or experience, but since we are still newbs (me too), we should rely on tools to be accurate.

I picked up a digital scale for ~$30 at target and works great.

Assuming you don’t have a scale: measure the sugar using a volume cup, multiply the ounces by six to convert to teaspoons, then divide the total teaspoons by five to get teaspoons per oz of sugar. Then remove 1.1 oz of sugar from the cup using a tablespoon (equal to three teaspoons) and some combination of teaspoons and smaller.

I’m going to add a quick question to this thread.

Some people say to dissolve the sugar into some boiling water mix and then pour into your bottling bucket. While others have said to just put the sugar straight into the bucket.

Is there a reason why either one of them is right? Which ever you do I figure you need to slowly stir it into the beer/cider.

Thanks!

[quote=“bw447”]I’m going to add a quick question to this thread.

Some people say to dissolve the sugar into some boiling water mix and then pour into your bottling bucket. While others have said to just put the sugar straight into the bucket.

Is there a reason why either one of them is right? Which ever you do I figure you need to slowly stir it into the beer/cider.

Thanks![/quote]

The sugar will dissolve better in a warm liquid.

You can also add the dry sugar to the bottle directly.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!