My First American Barleywine

Good morning fellow enthusiasts,

I have decided I am going to brew my first barleywine in couple weeks. Utilizing Wyeast’s website, I see that it recommends strains 1056, 1084, 1762, 1332 and 1728…and then of course there is good ol’ NB1945.

I was hoping to get some opinions on what strain those who have made a barleywine feel works the best for the style. Also, does this style need to be dry hopped or will the large amount of hops used be more than enough?

Thanks for the thoughts and cheers!!!

If you want to do an English style BW I would use the 1945. If you’re looking to do a hoppy American style, like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, I would go with 1056, 1332 or 1450. Check out Denny’s Old Stoner
http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/50
for a great American Style BW.

You can’t go wrong with 1056. But you might also consider East Coast Ale’s “Old Newark” …my Xmas ale for this year was made 4 months ago using that one and the little tastes I’ve had as it is aging indicates that it’s a mighty fine choice for Barleywine.

I’ve also used WY1968 (or WL002) in the past with very good results, though with those you do have to give some extra attention to rousing it to keep the yeast in suspension so it finishes.

The Professor,

I am not familiar with this “East Coast Ale Old Newark”…where do I go about getting that and would you happen to have any specs on it?

Thanks for the tip too…leaning towards playing it “safe” for the first batch and going with 1056.

Cheers!!

Big beers need lots of malt (efficiency goes down if you mash), lots of yeast (I usually use the entire yeast cake from a previous 5 gallon batch), lots of oxygen, and last and foremost, lots of temperature control. These fermentations can get hot fast.
Oh, and lots of time in secondary. And lots of patience…
:cheers:

To be honest, being that this is your first barleywine, I’d go the easy route. Two packs of US-05 dry yeast and call it a day. Otherwise you;ll have to make a monster starter. I’ve done a couple barleywines and I still just go with US-05. Great attenuation and ease of use is what I like about it.

Thanks for the tip SiennaBrewer…that’s even easier than I was planning to go with. Although for the record, I had checked in with Mr. Malty to know what size starter I had to make.

2 packets of US-05 it is…preceded, of course, by a few blasts of pure oxygen!!!

Thanks again.

[quote=“MilwaukeeBeerMaker”]The Professor,
I am not familiar with this “East Coast Ale Old Newark”…where do I go about getting that and would you happen to have any specs on it?
Thanks for the tip too…leaning towards playing it “safe” for the first batch and going with 1056.
Cheers!![/quote]

It’s an attenuative yeast that flocs pretty well, and has been identified as the yeast used at the Ballantine Brewery in NJ many years ago to produce their original XXX ale, their India Pale Ale, and their strong, special holiday Burton Ale. The brewery closed in 1971.

The yeast is currently available here:
http://www.solarhomebrew.com

I’ve made a number of batches with it this year (Robust Porter, ESB, IPA, and Barleywine) and have been very happy with the results right down the line.

Good evening again fellow brewers,

Just thought I would drop a quick update on how my first American Barleywine is progressing.

I brewed it on 10/28/11 with an O.G. of 1.082 and went the dry yeast route and tossed in 2 packs of Safale US-05 after a good shaking and several blasts of pure oxygen. Ended up coming out to 105 IBU! Being it’s the cold season in the Midwest, used my temperature controller and electric heat wrap to hold it at 68°F.

Transferred it to secondary (very very carefully) this past Monday (11/28/11) with a S.G. of 1.022…and I must say for just coming out of primary the taste was pretty awesome. Had the essence of alcohol without being that burning, warm feeling with a nice hop edge to it…very balanced. I’ve got the temperature controller on it to keep it at 70°F for the next couple months until I bottle it in spring sometime.

Thanks for all the pre-brewing help and I’ll let you know my thoughts at bottling time. And last of all…CHEERS!!!

[quote=“MilwaukeeBeerMaker”]Thanks for the tip SiennaBrewer…that’s even easier than I was planning to go with. Although for the record, I had checked in with Mr. Malty to know what size starter I had to make.

2 packets of US-05 it is…preceded, of course, by a few blasts of pure oxygen!!!

Thanks again.[/quote]

So I even try this style with out a oxygen system? Right now, all I have is the shacking the sh!t out of the carboy system.

I don’t see why not. I’ve made Old Stoner and a number of other big beers oxygenating only with a paint mixing paddle and my drill.