My combo; Ruthless, Torpedo and Pale

Hi All, in an attempt to keep this brief, I need some critique. I just kegged a homespun recipe modeled after SN’s Ruthless and Pale. Due to dumb luck and an unexpected high-brew house efficiency I got a very tasty and drink-worthy BIG beer ~ 8.5-9%. I’d say taste is a combo of 20% Ruthless, 50% Torpedo and 30% Pale Ale. I’m proud of this one with no complaints other than it’s a “one and done” beer. I’ll likely use Beersmith to scale down the gravity and make something ‘similar’ and more quaffable. But I’d love some critique and maybe suggestions on how to bring it down. Beautiful color, rich and creamy head. BTW, the rye is not in your face like Ruthless, rather nice and subtle – Thanks, Mike
Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 19.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
(10#)Pale Malt 70.8 %
(1#)Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 7.1 %
(1#)Munich Malt 7.1 %
(1#)Rye Malt 7.1 %
(2oz.)Chocolate Malt 0.9 %
(16oz.)Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) - post high K
.75oz Cascade, .5oz Columbus FWH 60.0 min
.30oz Cascade 30.0 min
.50oz Cascade, .3oz Columbus 20.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 15.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 10.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 5.0 min
.30oz Cascade, .30oz Columbus 1.0 min
.50oz Cascade, .50oz Columbus Flame out
1oz Chinook LEAF - Dry Hop 6.0 Days
American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

I would lose the candi sugar for one thing.

Also I would lose the chocolate. I am going to sub pale chocolate in my recipe, and tweak to get the SRM down to about 10.

19 SRM is way too dark if you are trying for pa/ipa.

:cheers:

Thanks for the input. I know you’re working on your own version of Ruthless.

I added the sugar right after high krausen after reading Jamil’s thoughts on Imperials or as in my case “unexpected Imperials” to lessen or lighten the chances of a too heavy malt character.
The color right now is brilliant, not too dark and definitely not 19srm even though that’s what Beersmith calc’ed. The color is somewhat lighter than Ruthless. I want to keep some chocolate for that very purpose.

If you want to bring down the ABV and you are happy with the grain bill I would agree and say the candy sugar needs to go or be decreased. Sounds good!

Sounds real good, might brew that myself next. Although I think I would scale back the sugar some too. That will bring the gravity down. I myself prefer big beer so, to me, sounds almost perfect.

I think the sugar was a good idea. although i would have used regular table sugar to save $$. a sugar addition for a big IPA helps it dry out. which is a good thing IMO

what kind of colour did you get from the chocolate? is the hue more red, brown, tan or golden?

The sugar did exactly that, it lightened the big malt load and crisped up the flavor. My good friend and culinary sidekick made 10 pounds of Belgian Candy Sugar and gave me a few pounds, so no cost involved. The color of this beer is a couple ticks lighter than SN’s Ruthless ~ reddish brown. I’ll post a comparison picture this week. I must say, I’m enjoying this beer more and more as it continues to condition in the keg. However it’s a big beer for more than maybe two at a pop. I think I am going to try and reduce the bill proportionally based on all ingredients. I wish I could share it with you all for comment.
Mike

I am a mere novice still and this was my own creation with the help of a little reading of the Pro’s here and there. I can guarantee I will be tweaking this one to my palate’s perfection. It’s a good beer. If you try it, please post your thoughts.

nothing wrong with some free Belgian candi sugar :cheers:

what final gravity did you get?

1.082 to 1.012 +/- 9%