Multiple brews from 1 mash

I know I’ve seen this on here before, but I can’t seem to find it now…
I’m looking to do 2 beers out of one mash (an Imperial Stout, and whatever I end up with after the 2nd runnings) Does anyone have any links/ advice or thoughts on this? Specifically on how long to mash the 2nd beer, how long should I hold the mash (and how long should I sparge for) since I’m basically trying to squeeze as much sugar as I can out of 1 mash. Sorry, that’s a pretty terrible explanation, but IF you get it and have any advice, I’d love to hear it!
Scott.

Parti-gyling works well with batch-sparging. You take the first runnings to make the big beer, then re-fill the mashtun with hot water, stir, and drain the weaker wort to a second kettle. If you like, you can spike the MT with some fresh grain and do a second mash, too. You need a large MT to accomodate all the grain and the water for the big beer.

Check out this table:

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/l ... table.html

It was a huge help for me when i was formulating my last brewday, where i made a Saison with the first runnings and a Belgian Session Blonde with the second
Both are bubbling away happily as we speak
I have a lil one and a full time job, so when i do brew i like to get as much beer as possible out of it

If you batch sparge, parti-gyle is easy. Next time you brew, measure the gravity of each runnings and you’ll know all you need to know to brew separate beers. I usually do it by using only the first runnings for one beer, then the 2nd runnings for a second. My 2nd runnings beer is usually about half the gravity of the first. And if you have a 2nd boil kettle, you can batch sparge and run off into the 2nd kettle and be boiling within 5-10 minutes of the first brew. Doing 2 boils at the same time is difficult enough for me that I don’t mess with the 2nd runnings beer by adding any more grain, etc.

Brew on

So how long are you mashing for the 2nd runnings? or are you just sparging for the 2nd batch? We’re doing an imperial stout which usually comes out to about 1.090(ish) is it safe to assume the the 2nd runnings might come out to about 1.050(ish)?
Thanks!
Scott.

[quote=“Gr8abe”]So how long are you mashing for the 2nd runnings? or are you just sparging for the 2nd batch? We’re doing an imperial stout which usually comes out to about 1.090(ish) is it safe to assume the the 2nd runnings might come out to about 1.050(ish)?
Thanks!
Scott.[/quote]

Unless you’re adding new grain you don’t need to re-mash, just add more sparge water to collect your desired volume. Gravity of second runnings depends on many factors; efficiency of mash, volume of first runnings, volume of second runnings, etc. Obviously, the more volume/gravity you collect from each running will reduce the potential gravity you can collect from the other. The link posted by bluenotebrewery is a good place to start. After you do a few brews this way you’ll be able to adjust these numbers for your system.

If the RIS is using only first runnings (no sparge) then your 2nd runnings will be in the mid-40’s. If you are sparging then all bets are off.

I accidentally did a partigyle with a RIS. I overcalculated my strike water using 1.25qt/lb absorption instead of .125gal/lb. I realized my mistake after I maxed the MT. I only need 6 gallons for a 5 gallon batch so I drained off 6 gallons of RIS(take). Then drained of the rest for RIS Lite. I added sparge water to get the second pre-boil up to 6 gallons. The RIStake came in at 7% and the Lite came in at 3.2%.

A guy in my club made an AWESOME mild with 2nd runnings from an RIS. You could probably do everything from a mild, either English Brown, American Brown, to maybe even some lighter english pales/bitters.

So the first running came out to 1.082 (lower than I wanted) and the 2nd runnings came out 1.039 (WAY lower than I wanted) so if nothing else, at least I know that my sparge is effective!

My experience is a 2nd running (session beer) is never a good idea. The beers have a astringent taste and are just not worth the effort. A single running of the mash tun produces the best wort. Dump the mash out water on top of the completed mash (you may need a bigger mash tun), mix, vorlauf and drain to pot. When running the full water volume through the mash tun, two equal volume runnings recover ~84% of available sugars, and a single running recovers ~75% for an 11% loss of sugars. For the quality increase I find 11% loss acceptable. After all I try to make outstanding brew! And if your system is like mine this procedure is fast and saves effort!