Mosaic SMaSH

My homebrew club is doing a SMaSH group brew. I got around 10 ounces of Mosaic for free that I’m going to use as my hop. Anyone have a unique suggestion for the single malt? Something other than MO or 2-row.

Mosaic is a nice hop. Good for pale ales and IPAs. I’d consider it in the same family as other American citrus hops. How much do you plan on using or a better question, what type of beer do you plan on making? If making something hoppy, I’d use Maris Otter, but since you are looking for something other than 2row and MO, how about Vienna? I’d use Vienna if adding a good bit of hops like a pale ale or IPA. If making something more mild, how about pale ale malt?

If you want something with very little malt flavor and just want to taste the hops I’d use Pils or maybe even wheat malt… but you wouldn’t want to go too heavy on the hops then.

But really, for a SMaSH I’d stick with MO and hop it to around 45-50 IBUs and make a nice SMaSH pale ale.

[quote=“dobe12”]Mosaic is a nice hop. Good for pale ales and IPAs. I’d consider it in the same family as other American citrus hops. How much do you plan on using or a better question, what type of beer do you plan on making? If making something hoppy, I’d use Maris Otter, but since you are looking for something other than 2row and MO, how about Vienna? I’d use Vienna if adding a good bit of hops like a pale ale or IPA. If making something more mild, how about pale ale malt?

If you want something with very little malt flavor and just want to taste the hops I’d use Pils or maybe even wheat malt… but you wouldn’t want to go too heavy on the hops then.

But really, for a SMaSH I’d stick with MO and hop it to around 45-50 IBUs and make a nice SMaSH pale ale.[/quote]

This. Just out of curiosity, whats the opposition to MO? I think it works great in SMaSH’s (though I’m not the biggest SMaSH fan in general).

+1 to Vienna, one of the few SMaSH’s I’ve liked was Cent/Vienna.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“dobe12”]Mosaic is a nice hop. Good for pale ales and IPAs. I’d consider it in the same family as other American citrus hops. How much do you plan on using or a better question, what type of beer do you plan on making? If making something hoppy, I’d use Maris Otter, but since you are looking for something other than 2row and MO, how about Vienna? I’d use Vienna if adding a good bit of hops like a pale ale or IPA. If making something more mild, how about pale ale malt?

But really, for a SMaSH I’d stick with MO and hop it to around 45-50 IBUs and make a nice SMaSH pale ale.[/quote]

This. Just out of curiosity, whats the opposition to MO? I think it works great in SMaSH’s (though I’m not the biggest SMaSH fan in general).

+1 to Vienna, one of the few SMaSH’s I’ve liked was Cent/Vienna.[/quote]

No opposition to MO. I use it all the time. Its one of my favorites Its just that I’ve never worked with Mosaic, and so I thought I’d try a malt I’ve never used before. I’m leaning towards a pale ale.

Just to clarify… when doing a SMaSH you need to get a maltier base malt so you have a balance with the bitterness. Basic 2row, pils, wheat, are all pretty tame and don’t add much malt flavor. If making a low IBU beer they should work, but you’re really making a boring bland beer, IMO.

If you are making something like a pale ale (I love Pale Ale SMaSH’s) you want to use a maltier base malt which is why Pietro and I are recommending Maris Otter or Vienna. These will add some more malt backbone to balance the IBUs. Pale ale malt would work too, but I’d still recommend MO or Vienna.

EDIT: Munich will work well too, but know that Munich has a low diastatic power, so your conversion and efficiency will be lower than normal.

vienna

Munich……I did a smash with simcoe and munich and it came out awesome.

Munich! Just made an all-Munich version of Patersbier. It still needs a couple weeks on the yeast to get some character, but the malt flavor is great! It needs more hops than the Northern Brewer (all pils) version - for my taste.

Mosaic and Marris. Call it M & M.

Love that! My wife’s first name starts with an M and so does mine. Fits perfectly.

I wouldn’t go with anything too malty, as that will overpower the hops quite easily. I limit my Munich to about 20% on my hoppy beers, otherwise you lose some of the hops.

If you don’t want to use MO, maybe try another base malt variety like Golden Promise or Optic.

[quote=“Pietro”]

+1 to Vienna, one of the few SMaSH’s I’ve liked was Cent/Vienna.[/quote]

I took your advice and brewed one up today. Looking forward to it! :cheers:

Try the Kolsch malt from Schill maltsters, available on our host site. I’ve used it twice in pale ales now, and I like it quite a bit. It’s got a nice depth of flavor, with a hint of biscuit. It works really well with the more intense hops, in my experience. I really don’t think you’d be disappointed with that malt.

What is your yeast? Flattail in makes a mosaic saison that’s pretty interesting.