Monster ABV!

Hey Guys,

Just brewed a DIPA, with an OG of 1.092 and an FG 1.02. It spent 3 weeks in the primary, just transferred to the secondary today. Sampled the FG, and the alcohol comes through a little harsh. Plan to have it sit in the secondary for about 4 weeks, then bottle condition for 3 weeks. Just wondering, in your guys experience, if the aging will let the flavor come through a little more and tame that giant ABV? Let me know, thanks.

The harness might be caused by fusel or higher alcohols . What yeast and what fermentation temperature did you use ?

If it’s fusel alcohols (usually happens when fermentation is at higher temps) in all that I’ve read, will not fade with time. At least not in the time frame where your hop flavor/aroma will still be there.

Actually, fusels will eventually age out into esters.

Any reason to hurry this one? If not, let it secondary for six months to smooth out, heavily dryhop for a couple weeks, then bottle.

Would aging to diminish the “hot” taste of fusels be a trade off when losing some of the hop bitterness? I always thought the bitterness balanced the high alcohol but this was not fusel alcohol.

Actually, fusels will eventually age out into esters.[/quote]

I’ve heard that this process could take 6 months or more (depending on the amount of fusels). By that time you would lose all the effects of your hops.

I would put it away for 6 months to a year, then dry hop it before packaging with 3-4 ounces. This sounds closer to an am. barleywine anyway. Brew another IIPA (at a lower ABV and at a lower ferment temp for the love of God :cheers: ) to drink now. the hot alcohol will transform into sherry and dried fruit goodness.

Your year-from-now self will thank yourself. Yourself.

Actually, fusels will eventually age out into esters.[/quote]

I’ve heard that this process could take 6 months or more (depending on the amount of fusels). By that time you would lose all the effects of your hops.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s likely. I was just modifying your statement about fusels not aging out.

Just curious, does the part of fusel alcohols that can cause those crossed eye head aches still age out?

I thought acetaldehyde was the primary culprit of hangovers/headaches?

Yep. Takes a while, though.