Mocktoberfest

Needing recipe for a Mocktoberfest. Partial mash preferd but extract ok as well. Thanks!

BC

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mocktoberfest+recipes

I apologize, but just couldn’t help myself.

:cheers:

Thats pretty neat dobe12. I’ll have to learn how to do that!

I have Googled the crap out of this and haven’t found what I’m looking for. I figured someone on this forum would have a recipe they like and could point me in the right direction.

There are tons of great Oktoberfest recipes out there. You want lots of Vienna and or Munich malt and maybe some pils. A little crystal malt is common and maybe even some caramunich to add an extra layer of maltiness. Obviously you want it to be very skewed to the malty side. Use noble hops lightly bittered somewhere around 20-25 IBU.

The only difference between an Oktoberfest and a Mocktoberfest is the yeast. You are going to want to find an ale yeast that ferments well in the upper 50’s, like Wyeast 1007 or similar. The key is being able to hold temps in the upper 50’s or at least below 60 if at all possible.

Check this out:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2009/11/01/br ... r-recipes/

I often use this site when formulating recipes. There’s always great info pertaining to the history of the style and how to build a classic recipe.

I would not recommend Jamil’s Okfest from BCS. Its a good beer, but way too dark and too much going on for what I’m looking for in an Okfest. More of a Sam Adams Okfest than a Warsteiner (I like the latter).

Speaking of which, do you have a commercial example you like? That might help guide you to a good recipe, as there are really two types of Oktoberfests you will find these days (examples of polar opposites above, with the Warsteiner one being much lighter in color than Sam)

As Dobe mentioned, its not an overly beer to make from a recipe standpoint, but you do want to make sure you get as close as possible to a german lager-like yeast as you can.

Hi Pietro-

My friends and I really like Leinenkugels Oktoberfest. Sprecher has a good one as well.

I am very new to brewing so recipe adaptation isn’t a skill I have acquired yet. I have done 1 extract and 2 partials this month and am really enjoying the process. I am reading “How to brew” to gain more insight.

Thanks!
BC

When I was doing partial mash, I always referred to this.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

It’s got all the info you need to convert an all grain recipe to partial mash.
If still having trouble, find an all grain recipe that sounds good and post it here.
I and others will be more than willing to help convert for you.
But really, the PDF above is a great resource for what you’re looking to do.

Thank you!

Here’s the all-grain one I did and have on tap. Not bad for a first attempt but could be a touch maltier:

Ingredients

7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.9 %
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 26.1 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
2.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 28.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [124.21 ml] Yeast 6 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 28.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.9 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

You know that Sprecher list the ingredients for the oktoberfest on their website, right? I would look there for a start.