Mixing yeast

Any problems with mixing yeasts? I have a starter of WLP007 that I am either going to have to step up a few times to get where I need it, or pitch the starter I have along with some yeast cake of S-04 that I will be racking off off.

No problem per se, but it’s likely one will dominate and there’s no way to control which one it will be.

What are you brewing? I would think the yeast cake would be enough and you can save the 007 for another day.

I am brewing the Surly Furious Pro Series kit from NB. I am unable to get it where I live so would like it to be as close as can be to the real thing, thus the stepping up of the starter.

Denny, what if I was able to make the majority 007? would that then dominate? Or would it just be the stronger strain that takes over?

Why worry about what will dominate the beer. Just do it correctly and get the outcome you are looking for.

There is no way to judge at what ratio the majority of the profile will come from which yeast. In the end, the other yeast will contribute it’s profile to the beer also.

You will be better off to under pitch with the proper yeast, than to mix different yeasts.

Maybe, but not necessarily. There’s no way to know.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Why worry about what will dominate the beer. Just do it correctly and get the outcome you are looking for.

There is no way to judge at what ratio the majority of the profile will come from which yeast. In the end, the other yeast will contribute it’s profile to the beer also.

You will be better off to under pitch with the proper yeast, than to mix different yeasts.[/quote]

Thanks, that is what I will probably end up doing. I do plan on stepping it up and will be pretty close to where I need to be by Thursday.