Mixed bag brew?

All,

I know that I have several pounds of left over grain from many random batches. I will check to see exactly what they are…however can I brew by “Lovibond” and come up with something drinkable?

The last kitchen sink brew I did was straight drain cleaner.

I do have beersmith has anyone just entered what they have in the program and have it give you a particular style?

Does anyone know of a program that can do such a thing?

Thanks!

Lovibond is a scale of color that is unrelated to most of what brewers use to formulate a recipe- flavor, fermentability, aroma, etc.

If you start with a list & relative amounts of each, perhaps you’ll get more ideas from the forum.
Consider not using it all up and brew with an intended result rather than hoping for the best.

Keep your “cara” malts (caramel, crystal, cara-) under 20%. I would also keep your Biscuit/Victory/Special Roast/Melanoidin/etc speciality grains no more than 10%. Otherwise, go for it the brew is likely to fall into some sort of category.

Don’t just toss 'em together. Have a plan and goal in mind.

Good advice! It does not have to fall into any specific style category, but it should still fall into the realm of common sense.

I use BrewersFriend. It will tell you if a recipe matches a style, or if not, what styles it matches.

Here is the list any ideas?

Rice hulls .5
Briess Special Roast 1.0
German Vienna 1/3
Weyerman Pale Wheat 1.0
Belgian Malt 1.0
Rahr white wheat 1.0
Belgian Biscuit 1/2
Rahr Pilsner Malt 1/3
Briess Chocolate 1/2

:cheers:

find the diastatic powers for the leftovers. This is a measure of enzymatic strength. Munich and honey malts can convert themselves, but don’t use adjuncts unless you have enough base grain to back it up. Also, base grain contains more proteolytic enzymes, while the self sufficient malts might not have any. I’ve used 4 pounds of flaked maize in a 12 pound grain bill, but also made sure to have plenty of plain 6-row. Also, wheat has an even higher diastatic power than 6-row barley, so using a little of wheat may help.

edit to add: adjuncts, like unmalted grains, caramel or crystal malts, toasted grains, do not have any enzymes

[quote=“tbilderback”]Here is the list any ideas?

Rice hulls .5
Briess Special Roast 1.0
German Vienna 1/3
Weyerman Pale Wheat 1.0
Belgian Malt 1.0
Rahr white wheat 1.0
Belgian Biscuit 1/2
Rahr Pilsner Malt 1/3
Briess Chocolate 1/2

:cheers: [/quote]

If that’s all you intend to use, you don’t have a beer. You only have a few lb. of base malt.

[quote=“tbilderback”]Here is the list any ideas?

Rice hulls .5
Briess Special Roast 1.0
German Vienna 1/3
Weyerman Pale Wheat 1.0
Belgian Malt 1.0
Rahr white wheat 1.0
Belgian Biscuit 1/2
Rahr Pilsner Malt 1/3
Briess Chocolate 1/2

:cheers: [/quote]

You could make a pretty good brown ale if you only had some base malt to throw in there. I’m counting 4+2/3 lbs. of base malt, which is only around half of what you’d need. Go out and get some of that (and some caramel malt while you’re at it) or some malt extract, and you’re in business. That’s, of course, not considering the other stuff, like the hops and yeast.

You have a 2.5gal batch of brown ale.