Mix stir/Aeration

I was looking at picking up something that would take the place of shaking the crap outta my carboys for a couple minutes before pitching. I’m interested to see some of the veteran brewers using mix/stir as opposed to oxygen or just the aquarium pump.

Has anyone tried all 4 methods and have a preference? (shaking v. mix/stir v. aquarium pump v. oxygen?

I tried 1,2 & 4 and the Mix-Stir is the easiest and cheapest, all things considered.

Denny said he’s used the Mix Stir for over 10 years. Good enough for me.

Yep. If I didn’t get great results, I would have switched to something else a long time ago.

[quote=“spykeratchet”]I was looking at picking up something that would take the place of shaking the crap outta my carboys for a couple minutes before pitching. I’m interested to see some of the veteran brewers using mix/stir as opposed to oxygen or just the aquarium pump.

Has anyone tried all 4 methods and have a preference? (shaking v. mix/stir v. aquarium pump v. oxygen?[/quote]

Tried all of them oxygen is the easiest for me and not really that much more money. A stainless mixer with replaceable blades is almost 30. My drill was coated with shit so I wanted to go buy a new one which actucally makes it more than an oxygen setup. Then I always forgot to have it charged on sporatic brew days and then had to shake anyways.
Oxygen is 50 or 60 maybe cheaper if u find a deal. Takes 30 sec for most beers maybe a minute or two for big beers. Easy to sanitize. Fast. Anything that takes time off my brew day is nice.

The Mix-stir is my preferred method. It doesn’t get much quicker or easier IMHO.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]The Mix-stir is my preferred method. It doesn’t get much quicker or easier IMHO.[/quote]Exactly. Easy to sanitize too. I can’t imaging ever breaking a tang either.

A possibly cheaper option is a paint stirrer from your local big box home supply store. You attach it to your drille just like the mix/stir. I can’t remember what I paid for mine, but i have a sense that it was less, plus no shipping cost. Works great.

But, does it fit in the neck of a carboy? That’s okay for buckets and large opening containers, but the squirrel cage style doesn’t fit the Better Bottle, even.

:cheers:

I broke my first one, the second has a full length SS rod, coated in plastic. I’ve tried all four, using O2 currently (thanks Duxx). It’s nice to have a variety to choose from if there’s a failure. I would recommend the Mix-Stir for price and ease.

[quote=“spykeratchet”]Has anyone tried all 4 methods and have a preference? (shaking v. mix/stir v. aquarium pump v. oxygen?[/quote]I’ve used all four methods and settled on O2. Just added a whirlpool to my new kettle and tried oxygenating in the kettle once it hit pitching temp - took three minutes at 1L/min (OG = 1.052, 17 gallons) and then I pitched the yeast to each fermenter while filling. Fast and easy for sure.

no but they can be scratched easily, the whole thing can be scratched if you dont buy the stainless one

[quote=“grainbelt”]

yeah thats where they go, as for them being recycled that up to the workers to do there job. talk to your recycling dept in your town you would probably be surprised on how much actually gets “recycled”. If it was that complicated of a piece of equipment it wouldn’t cost 8 bucks it would be much more expensive
Reminds me of the bull #### episode on recycling[/quote]
Isn’t that the typical American attitude…eff the environment. Consume, consume, consume!
SO cool.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“grainbelt”]

yeah thats where they go, as for them being recycled that up to the workers to do there job. talk to your recycling dept in your town you would probably be surprised on how much actually gets “recycled”. If it was that complicated of a piece of equipment it wouldn’t cost 8 bucks it would be much more expensive
Reminds me of the bull #### episode on recycling[/quote]
Isn’t that the typical American attitude…eff the environment. Consume, consume, consume!
SO cool.[/quote]

no idea what your talking about