Mix stir/Aeration

Do these really work to get good aeration?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mix- ... ic-24.html

We started using it a while ago and when paired with appropriate starters have had really good fermentations so I guess it works for us.

Plus it gets bonus points for combining brewing with power tools! It’s really fun to use. Just don’t get too crazy.

sorry to thread jack.

But I just picked up the disposable oxygen regulator set up. Look forward to giving it a try.

Should I see a big difference in fermentation? I have been having fermentation end a little soon on me. Hopefully this will make them finish out correctly.

I use a mix-stir for aerating and they work great!
I also have an all SS one that works really well, just have to watch hitting the edges when using it.

[quote=“Andy72”]Do these really work to get good aeration?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mix- ... ic-24.html[/quote]Yes, I have had very good success with mine for years. I use it on all my batches.

[quote=“cam0083”]We started using it a while ago and when paired with appropriate starters have had really good fermentations so I guess it works for us.

Plus it gets bonus points for combining brewing with power tools! It’s really fun to use. Just don’t get too crazy.[/quote]
We? Us? Who? Got a turd in your pocket?

I need to get a stronger drill I think. I use a mixstir but don’t seem to get as much foam as Greg. I usually run it in there for a few minutes and call it good. But it must not be good enough…

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“cam0083”]We started using it a while ago and when paired with appropriate starters have had really good fermentations so I guess it works for us.

Plus it gets bonus points for combining brewing with power tools! It’s really fun to use. Just don’t get too crazy.[/quote]
We? Us? Who? Got a turd in your pocket?

I need to get a stronger drill I think. I use a mixstir but don’t seem to get as much foam as Greg. I usually run it in there for a few minutes and call it good. But it must not be good enough…[/quote]

foam has nothing do do with it, I use pure o2 and dont get that much foam doesn’t mean I am getting less oxygen than a mix stir.
There was a podcast on one of Jamils I think, and they talk about ruining head retention qualities with excessive foam, never checked it out myself but hard to argue with those guys

This is all I needed to hear guys, thanks. Will definitely beat shaking the beejeesus out of the carboy. Going to to the LHBS to get the SS version today.

Yeah those work well, but I’d say +1 to just using O2 as well, gives you much more advantages plus several applications you can use it in where that might just get messy.

Here’s my NB regulator with the $8 tanks from Lowes

Here is a pic of an all SS mix-stir that I made. I ferment in large 55L Curtec drums so I would have to get pretty crazy to hit the edges with the blades. I have a mix-stir with plastic blades that I use for buckets and carboys.
[attachment=0]2011-01-02_03-39-45_708.jpg[/attachment]

I hope you don’t just throw those oxygen canisters away, it’s terribly wasteful to use those.

I like the all stainless steel mixstir, that’s awesome.

[quote=“Beersk”]I hope you don’t just throw those oxygen canisters away, it’s terribly wasteful to use those.

I like the all stainless steel mixstir, that’s awesome.[/quote]
What do u think your supposed to do with them. There not refillable

Of course I just throw them away what else am I suppose to do with them? I actually put them in the recycling bin, the trash guys said they’re fine there and will get taken care of. It’s just oxygen, once it’s empty it’s just a cylinder, there’s nothing dangerous about them.

Baratone, is there any chance that you can give a closer pic of how the blades are secured? I have a mix stir already, but am always interested in building my own.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the mix stir.

J

[quote=“Andy72”]Do these really work to get good aeration?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mix- ... ic-24.html[/quote]

If it didn’t do a great job, I wouldn’t have been using it for over 10 years and hundreds of batches.

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Beersk”]I hope you don’t just throw those oxygen canisters away, it’s terribly wasteful to use those.

What do u think your supposed to do with them. There not refillable[/quote]
Recycle them! Think of the energy and materials it takes to produce those things. YOU can’t reuse them, but I’m certain the materials can be recycled.

[quote=“Barliman”]Baratone, is there any chance that you can give a closer pic of how the blades are secured? I have a mix stir already, but am always interested in building my own.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the mix stir.

J[/quote]
Sure, I’ll try to get you a closer pic sometime today. They are secured by a dome top SS bolt for each blade. The two bolts tighen against each other and are locked into place with the larger dome top SS bolt that feeds up from the bottom of the couple.
Here is a pic with the blades not extended.
[attachment=0]2011-01-02_03-39-24_363.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Beersk”]I hope you don’t just throw those oxygen canisters away, it’s terribly wasteful to use those.

What do u think your supposed to do with them. There not refillable[/quote]
Recycle them! Think of the energy and materials it takes to produce those things. YOU can’t reuse them, but I’m certain the materials can be recycled.[/quote]

yeah thats where they go, as for them being recycled that up to the workers to do there job. talk to your recycling dept in your town you would probably be surprised on how much actually gets “recycled”. If it was that complicated of a piece of equipment it wouldn’t cost 8 bucks it would be much more expensive
Reminds me of the bull shit episode on recycling

Hope this helps Barliman.
[attachment=0]2012-02-24_17-39-35_353-2.jpg[/attachment]

Yep, that is exactly the pic i wanted. Thanks.

J