Mistakes that work out in your favor?

I did my first all-grain batch with my own system 3 weeks ago. It was a Porter recipe that I planed on “aging” on bourbon oak chips. Well, I had overshot my strike temp, and mashed at around 154-155 deg. I just transferred the batch tonight, and I have a feeling that I nailed it. I always grab a pint before transferring into secondary, and I’m very pleased with how this brew is coming along. My target was 151. When I overshot, I just let it roll, and I’m glad I did. I have a feeling it will be a very full, robust Porter. My past all grain batches were lacking in the “mouth-feel” dept, as I was using a friends system, playing by his rules. Never looking back.

A+ Thread. Will read again.

This why a good thermometer is so important for mash. Not sure if you were using his thermometer or not but it could have been off resulting in a thin beer.

[quote=“ACKbrew”]I had overshot my strike temp, and mashed at around 154-155 deg… My target was 151. When I overshot, I just let it roll, and I’m glad I did. I have a feeling it will be a very full, robust Porter. [/quote]I don’t know why you think this is a problem, in my opinion a thin bodied Porter or Stout sucks, I always shoot for the upper end of mash temperatures for these styles, ~156-158 .