Missing Amarillo

I really want to brew up one of my fav recipes, but it requires Amarillo and everyone’s out.

I bought “Falconer’s Flight Seven C’s”, a blend, as a sub, but I’m skeptical. NB suggests Zythos blend.

I am thinking of 1/2 cent 1/ citra.

Maybe 1/2 columbus 1/2 citra?

Any thoughts? (besides waiting) :slight_smile:

:cheers:

I just pre ordered some Amarillo and some FF 7C’s and can’t wait to get my hands on it. 2013 is going to bring a wealth of IPA and Pale Ale brewing to Bures-Brue’s.

If you have Citra, you can probably find someone to trade you for Amarillo. I don’t think there’s a really close substitute, but Centennial and a little Columbus and some fresh grapefruit peel at the end of the boil might work.

I would just use good fresh centennials. It won’t be the same but it will be comparable in intensity of flavor and bitterness.

If it were me, I’d use it as an excuse to try something different. Maybe Galaxy or Nelson Sauvin. I haven’t had a chance to try Smaragd yet, but it’s being billed as Germany’s answer to Amarillo.

But I agree that the closest match is probably Centennial and/or Cascade.

Edit
I just found Amarillo at Freshops. They have Simcoe and Centennial in stock right now as well.

I have a little Amarillo left from last year. (~12 oz.) With all the frenzy about Amarillo and a few of the others I’ve decided to just forget them and move on to different, more available hops like Galena, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, CTZ. I’m even going to use some Willamette and Vanguard just because… In fact I just dry hopped 5 gallons of Red Ale with an ounce of Willamette. Cheers!!!

If you can use whole leaf check here: http://www.freshops.com/. Quantities are rationed but some’s better than none in my book!

I was just about to post the same thing. Their prices are not as good as hops direct, but they’re still very reasonable if you need to to get your Amarillo, Centennial, etc. fix, it looks like you can do so here. At least you can order smaller quantities.

I was…oh, who am I kidding…I am very tempted to place an order, but I have to draw the line somewhere. My wife is already pissed that we had to buy a spare freezer just to store the hops I’ve already ordered.

Check out labelpeelers.com they have 1 lb. of amarillo leaf at $25.19 and pellet at $22.84. This is a pre-order for the 2012 crop. I think that there waiting for there CONTRACT HOPS to arrive.

Try some new hops you’ve never used before, maybe you’ll end up not even missing amarillo.