Missed my mash temp

with my calculations today with 12.3 lbs of grain 166 degree water should have brought me to 153, instead it brought me to 147. Heated up another 3 quarts of boiling water to bring it to 150. Now i was supposed to hit 153, will this just result in a thinner less flavorful beer? It’s an irish red by the way

A little thinner yes but it should be pretty good. I always heat up a little extra water so that I can keep adding water until I hit my number dead on.

It’s going to turn out great. Don’t worry about it, not one bit.

so i ended up somehow getting 90% efficiency…good lord. had to add some water to it to mellow it out a bit…still think it’ll be alright?

You will lose some heat heating up your mash tun. I usually go 8-10 degrees higher on mash water to allow the cooler to heat up. When it gets close to the target temp, I stir in the grain.

Ill never make that mistake again! So annoying

Could be because of the extra water volume in the mash. A thinner mash will distribute the temp more evenly and theoretically increase your conversion efficiency. I know that my efficiency went up when I starting using a thinner mash.

That could be it because i ended up adding another gallon +, but 90%!? I wasn’t even aware that was possible…

By the way this irish ale yeast , 1084 i think it is… very very active, looks like a whirl pool inside my carboy, big dirty krausen

85-88% is predicted for a batch sparge of an beer around 1.050 with good conversion efficiency, so 90% isn’t out of the question if the stars align and you get slightly less wort lost to grain absorption.

[quote=“thomasben”]By the way this irish ale yeast , 1084 i think it is… very very active, looks like a whirl pool inside my carboy, big dirty krausen[/quote]That is fun yeast to watch. Almost like goldfish swimming around for food.