Milling Flaked Barley

I received my unmilled grains for an Irish Stout, and the flaked barley is in the bag.
I’m thinking picking individual flakes of the grain is out of the question.
So, what happens if you mill the flakes with the grain? I’ve always heard you should not mill flakes.

It won’t matter. You don’t have to mill flaked grains, but its not going to hurt.

Thanks, that was the answer I was hoping for.

Yeah, milling doesn’t hurt. Conditioning, then milling, makes a sticky mess on your rollers.

Then I won’t condition. Thanks!

+1. Do NOT do this. Please learn from my horrible mistakes. I won’t even mill the un-conditioned (dry) flakes anymore for this reason. Ugh. It was awful.

Well, since the flakes are part of the unmilled grain, the only alternatives are to either pick out the flakes one by one, or just throw it all into the trash. I was just hoping that I could mill it all at the same time.

I generally mill my flaked grains. Its not necessary but I figure the more surface area exposed to the liquid and enzymes therein, the better.

OK, back to milling them now.

Yeah, when you’ve got them mixed, you’ve got no choice. For me, after my experience, I keep the flaked materials in a separate bag.

your mixed so unless you want to sit and pick them out…
You dont mill flaked grains/rice hulls/ etc…they gum up rollers and make a huge mess thius will be dependent on how often you brew to but just dont mill them if you have a choice

I’ve never had a problem milling flaked grains dry, just conditioned.

I milled the whole thing together. It took a little bit, and I had to reverse the drill a few times to get the rollers to grab again, but it worked out.

Thanks for all the advice.

I just won’t be ordering kits from NB again that use flakes in them.

[quote=“paultuttle”]I milled the whole thing together. It took a little bit, and I had to reverse the drill a few times to get the rollers to grab again, but it worked out.

I just won’t be ordering kits from NB again that use flakes in them.[/quote]

Just order it separate. Of put a note to separate

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“paultuttle”]I milled the whole thing together. It took a little bit, and I had to reverse the drill a few times to get the rollers to grab again, but it worked out.

Just order it separate. Of put a note to separate[/quote]

I did. Then they replaced it with a promise not to do it again. The replacement came the same way, with the flakes in the grain. Fool me once…you know the rest.

[quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“paultuttle”]I milled the whole thing together. It took a little bit, and I had to reverse the drill a few times to get the rollers to grab again, but it worked out.

Just order it separate. Of put a note to separate[/quote]

I did. Then they replaced it with a promise not to do it again. The replacement came the same way, with the flakes in the grain. Fool me once…you know the rest.[/quote]

ouch, I guess just order a few lbs completly separate and keep on hand