Hello brewing brothers and sisters. I haven’t posted in quite awhile but have been lurking. Anyway, with crazy times being what they are, I needed to make a starter for a 10 gal lager but only had one pack of dry yeast. And I had no DME on hand.
So I made a 3 gal small beer with a mash from pre-milled grain that has been sitting around since Dec, 2009. I could have milled fresh grain but figured what the hell and just mashed in the old grain to see what happened.
I did give it an extended 2 hour mash, but got basically the same efficiency as with fresh grain!
Not saying it would taste as good as fresh grain. But still interesting that the amylase stuck around that long.
Happy brewing everyone. Stay healthy.