Mildew problem

Hi, I ferment in a verysmall chest freezer. I use an anolog johnson controler to keep thing at the right temp but some times need it a little warmer in which case i use a mall space heater wich i keep arond 70. the last time i bottled i noticed a mildey look on the outside of the carboy…i whiped it down before i racked and bottled…I,m think ing it was moisture build up in the inclosedplace while fermenting…thoughts ans what can i do to prevent this? I did a one week primary and one week secondary holding between 64 and 72… Thanks

Get a mini dehumidifier that’s either rechargeable or battery. not sure our host sells them but worth checking. If they don’t Amazon has them i bought some a while back two battery ones for 19 dollars. Another option if your a DIY person and not wanting to spend awhile lot. Gets bowl with a lid punch abunch holes in the lid and put plain charcoal that you grill with in it. Put lid on and the charcoal will draw the moisture into the bowl.

Installing one of the larger computer fans to keep constant air circulation may keep mildew from forming. Small dehumidifier might work also if you can vent the heat.

The temperature ranging between 64° to 72° is quite a swing. Do you have your temperature probe taped and insulated to the side of the fermentor or are you measuring ambient air temp in the freezer?

1 Like

me just buy wood for building a fermention box with two comp fans monday will pick up a temp control probe this should help to create perfect temp control for my fermenting will build wedness day first brewing day

I solved my problem by buying a package of Damp Rid and placing it in and also mounted the temp probe against the bucket…Not one problem so far

1 Like