Methods to avoid channeling while batch sparging?

I mash in a 10g igloo-type cylindrical cooler, using a home-made copper manifold in a rectangular shape (see attached photos). I also crush at 0.026", after conditioning my grain, though I still produce some flour. (I always hit my pH targets, too, if you are curious).

While I haven’t had a stuck sparge, it is regularly a bit slow (10-20 minutes to collect all pre-boil volume), and channeling occasionally (perhaps regularly?) occurs, with water preferring to flow down the edges of the mashtun. I’m guessing that this is negatively impacting my efficiency as valuable sugars in the middle are missed.

Any comments on the efficacy of any of these possible solutions to improve my sparging?

• Wait "X" amount of time after spraying the water on the grains to achieve better conditioning?[/*]
  • Use hot (as in, as hot as my tap water gets) water to condition grains?[/*]
  • Add "X" amount of rice hulls to the mash?[/*]
  • Replace my manifold with a circular false bottom like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/all- ... om-12.html[/*]
  • Stir & vorlauf more than once per sparge water addition?[/*]
  • None or all of the above, or something else I haven't thought of?[/*]

Thanks all.

Batch or fly sparge?

Sorry; batch sparge. I’ve edited the original post.

If batch sparging channeling wont matter. All of the obtainable sugars are disolved into the wort when you stir.

Yep. Channeling problems don’t exist in batch sparging.

I re-read the batch sparging & extraction efficiency discussion on Kai’s site (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti … g_Analysis) and perhaps my issue is that–even with 100% conversion in the mash–your brewhouse efficiency isn’t going to reliably reach 80% for moderate beers (12 lbs grain+).

I’m fairly certain I’m achieving 100% conversion in my mash, but feel like I’m just leaving “a lot” behind in the grain during the sparge.

My sparge process generally goes like this:
(1) Add water
(2) Stir
(3) Vorlauf 1-3x / grain settling
(4) Drain

At step 3, the liquid level above the grain bed is a few inches. It seems plausible to me that both (A) this liquid is not fully saturated with dissolved sugars, and (B) as this liquid passes through the grain bed on its way out the mash tun, it functions similar to the fly sparge trickle, and can collect additional sugars. Surely I’m not the only one that slowly & evenly returns the vorlauf liquid to the mashtun…

are you having efficiency issues? If your in the 70’s or better you are worring for nothing. consistancy is more important than high efficiency.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]At step 3, the liquid level above the grain bed is a few inches. It seems plausible to me that both (A) this liquid is not fully saturated with dissolved sugars, and (B) as this liquid passes through the grain bed on its way out the mash tun, it functions similar to the fly sparge trickle, and can collect additional sugars. Surely I’m not the only one that slowly & evenly returns the vorlauf liquid to the mashtun…[/quote]If you stir thoroughly, the wort is one consistent gravity above and below the grain line. To prove this, or possibly disprove it, take a gravity reading of the runnings before you start draining and then another right at the end. The only reason to gently return the vorlauf is to not disturb the grainbed.

rdwhahb

Yes, my brewhouse efficiency is in the mid 70s, and probably varies more with my imprecise boiloff than anything else. I’m not at all worried about the quality of my beer–it tastes great–but I enjoy assessing my process and exploring improvements to it.

I came to the same conclusion, last night, Shadetree. I think I’ll try this on my end-of-the-world beer, and report back.