Messed up a recipe

I took a all grain brewing class, bought a whole lot of grain from a newly purchased recipe book drove the hour and half home all excited went to crush grains and then realized the book didn’t get bagged. I called the store and they were closed, so I went nomad and made my own recipe.
All was going great, temperatures real close, could of been better but it’s my first brew, and then I went to drain. The wort was like coffee or used motor oil. Really really dark. I used about 2 lbs of roasted barley when I needed about 6 oz.
My question is should I throw this out and start over or should I continue the ferment. This is a 15 gallon batch. What effect will the roasted barley excess have in the finished beer. Will it cause it to be nasty like burnt toast? :frowning:

2 lbs of roasted barley in a 15 gal batch is not even close to overdoing it, although it obviously will not produce what you intended. Don’t dump it. Out of curiosity, what was the whole recipe and what were you trying to make?

Depending on the rest of the recipe it looks like you’ll have some sort of stout. Heck, you might really like it as-is.

Here is the original recipe
I know the Cascade is a little out of place here, but dammit, I love Cascade hops. I’ll offset the citrus of the cascade with the addition of 1lb of honey malt and mash at 156-157 to get a maltier profile.

With a gravity of 55 and an IBU of 32.4, I’m staying right in line with the gravity/hops ratio.

bass_ale_hops_ratio.jpg
Bass Pale Ale, Bass Clone, Bass Pale Ale Recipe,

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

INGREDIENTS:
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
5.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.5 Oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)( I put 2 lbs)

2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) used northern
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) used northern

So what do you think

Bass makes a pretty tasty stout. Looks like you may wind up closer to that. The only real way to tell is…Ferment it out, bottle (or keg) it, and enjoy. Please post results back when it’s finished.

You could be half-way to a great black-n-tan!!!

[quote=“Dadam”]Here is the original recipe
I know the Cascade is a little out of place here, but dammit, I love Cascade hops. I’ll offset the citrus of the cascade with the addition of 1lb of honey malt and mash at 156-157 to get a maltier profile.
[/quote]
The cascade is not necessarily out of place, and the small amount you added should be subtle.

What type of “malty” profile are you going for? Honey malt is more sweet than malty IMO, and a little goes a long way. Personally I would leave it out, but if you use it, I wouldn’t use more than 2-3% of the grain bill. You’ll get better results using Maris Otter as your base or adding Munich to the recipe.

I would replace the flaked corn since you’re going for a malty beer. Replace it with Munich. :wink: