Measuring Stick for Kettles

Decided to make myself a couple of new measuring sticks for my large kettles today and thought that I post a couple pics of the design that I used. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Started with Aluminum Bar stock
3/4" Flat Bar and 1/2" tubing.

Nice job :cheers:

I like the way it stays in the boil. I went at it with a different approach. I measure from top of BK to liquid level and reference a chart I made with gallons to inches relationship.

Nice job!

Thanks guys! My old measuring stick wouldn’t hang on the kettle. It was just a quick and simple build. I have seen others with similar designs and just decided to add my own approach.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I like the way it stays in the boil. I went at it with a different approach. I measure from top of BK to liquid level and reference a chart I made with gallons to inches relationship.

Nice job![/quote]

You are measuring “ullage” vs. “innage”…From my days when I used to gauge LARGE fuel tanks! :cheers:

And nice job on the measuring stick!

Just remember that during the boil, you have water vapor in the wort that will make it look like there is a little more volume than there actually is. It could be worth checking the level right before and right after flame out to see what the actual difference is for your kettle.

Also there is a 4% change in volume from room temp to boiling.

Is that consistent across different brew kettle sizes?

Is that consistent across different brew kettle sizes?[/quote]Yes it is a property of the liquid and temperature. The kettle has nothing to do with it.

I use something similar and keep a chart handy for volume conversion at various temps.

Nice work. I wonder about the raw aluminum in the boil? It is the reason I went with a stainless BK. Not trying to disparage, just trying to learn