Measuring LME accurately

Well our host sells LME in 6lbs and 3.3lbs. I’ve always just used LME in kits and I always use it all. A recipe in brewing classic styles calls for 8lbs. Is there an easy way to measure it accurately? The stuff sticks to everything it touches and pours in globs.

Weigh out what you will be using in a large measuring cup. Pour from the cup into your boil. Dip the cup in the hot wort to get all the LME out. Repeat until you have the weight of LME needed.

Another thought, What happens to the recipe if you just go for it, and up the LME to 9.3 (6+3.3) pounds? do you have BeerSmith or equivalent?
8 pounds already sounds like a pretty heavy brew; what’s a little heavier?
Can you post the recipe?

This was just one example I found. Not necessarily the recipe I was planning on brewing. Just wondered if someone had a"trick" for doing it easier but sounds like it’s going to be a sticky mess either way :smiley:

What I do when I get a recipe that calls for an amount of LME that I can’t get from the two bottle sizes is to get as close as I can with the LME and then use DME to make up the difference. Requires some minor calculating, but easier than goofing around with partial containers of LME. Good luck!

CHEERS!

[quote=“MilwaukeeBeerMaker”]What I do when I get a recipe that calls for an amount of LME that I can’t get from the two bottle sizes is to get as close as I can with the LME and then use DME to make up the difference. Requires some minor calculating, but easier than goofing around with partial containers of LME. Good luck!

CHEERS![/quote]

+1

This is exactly what I have done with recipes from BCS. Below is a little info pulled from the internet…

LME: If the final product is syrup, the water content is usually around 20%, with the other remaining 80% composed of sugar and unfermentable solids that are important to brewers.

DME: If the final product is a dried powder, the malt extract has undergone a complete evaporation process by way of “spray drying”, thus removing virtually all of the water.

Conversion: The ratio for use between the dry and syrup forms of malt extract can be approximated as follows: 1 pound of dry malt extract would roughly equal 1.2 pounds of syrup malt extract. Likewise, 1 pound of syrup malt extract would roughly equal 0.8 pounds of dry malt extract.

Thanks- good info. I’ve yet to use LME, but will soon for the Caribou Slobber. I’ll keep that conversion in mind for future reference.