Max Time To Wait Before Pitching Starter

I plan to brew this Belgian Dubbel[/url] soon using the [url=http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/wyeast-belgian-abbey.html]Wyeast Belgian Abbey yeast.

This recipe suggests using a yeast starter. I am a novice (2 batches so far) and have never attempted a yeast starter. I’ve read that you need to wait 12 to 18 hours after making the starter before pitching it. What I cannot seem to find is the maximum amount of time you can wait before pitching. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can store it in the fridge for at least a week or so and just decant and pitch. And probably a bit longer than that, after a certain point the viability will drop to the point where it’d be best to pitch into another starter, but if you’re only looking at a few days to a week or so should be no problem.

Thanks for the quick reply. How long with no refrigeration?

Thanks for the quick reply. How long with no refrigeration?[/quote]

A week no problem.

Denny,

I plan on doing the Czech Pilsner extract kit this weekend. It suggests to use a starter. What would you reccomend for a starter. Can I make a starter and use it in the same day? Also, do I add the starter in addtion to the normal yeast and do I add it at the same time as pitching the yeast.

I have in stock the Wyeast 2001 Pilsner Urquell. Can I use Saflager S-23 dry yeast to make the starter and still use the above mentioned Wyeast?

[quote=“Denny”]

A week no problem.[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote=“EagleRising”]Denny,

I plan on doing the Czech Pilsner extract kit this weekend. It suggests to use a starter. What would you reccomend for a starter. Can I make a starter and use it in the same day? Also, do I add the starter in addtion to the normal yeast and do I add it at the same time as pitching the yeast.

I have in stock the Wyeast 2001 Pilsner Urquell. Can I use Saflager S-23 dry yeast to make the starter and still use the above mentioned Wyeast?[/quote]

You want to use the liquid yeast for the starter. The point of the starter is to grow more yeast so you are pitching the proper amount, you don’t need to pitch an additional package of yeast in addition to the starter as you suggested. So make the starter with the wyeast then either pitch the whole thing into your batch or put it in the fridge for a couple of days after it ferments out and decant most of the liquid and just pitch the slurry. Check out www.mrmalty.com for a good calculator on how big of a starter you need to make.

You’re going to need a big starter for your lager if you use liquid yeast. With one smack pack, you need about a gallon to get enough yeast. If you don’t have the DME on hand, you’re better off pitching the dry yeast. With 2 smack packs you can make a 1.5 quart starter which would be more manageable. Two packs of dry yeast would be enough and all you have to do is sprinkle it on top of the wort. It’s your first lager, I’d suggest using dry yeast.

:cheers:

[quote=“EagleRising”]Denny,

I have in stock the Wyeast 2001 Pilsner Urquell. Can I use Saflager S-23 dry yeast to make the starter and still use the above mentioned Wyeast?[/quote]

First, go look at mrmalty.com. You need more time than that, especially for a lager. Without looking at mrmalty, I’d guess you need pretty close to a gal. of starter wort. You need to make it well in advance so it ferments out and you can decant the spent stareter wort rather than put it into your beer. You want to make the starter with the liquid yeast you’re going to use…I don’t understand what the S-23 is for. BTW, IMO that’s one of the worst yeasts out there. I’d really advise against using S-23.

i’m planning on doing aSchwarzbier Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains with bravarian lager yeast that i want to do at a ale temp, do i still start it like a lager yeast and pitch just the slurry? this will be my third batch

[quote=“rhino3hh”]i’m planning on doing aSchwarzbier Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains with bravarian lager yeast that i want to do at a ale temp…[/quote]Any particular reason to use a lager yeast at ale temps?

reading up on different variations of recipes and want to try this as its supposed to produce a flavor like new belguim 1554. Further research shows this yeast performs very well in lower lager temps. I know i’m a newbie but do lots of research when i set my mind to something.

[quote=“rhino3hh”]Further research shows this yeast performs very well in lower lager temps.[/quote]Do you mean lower ale temps rather than lager? If you can maintain high 50s to low 60s, that might work. As a bonus, you won’t need as big a pitch of yeast at that temp.

Yes in the very low 60’s, so to answer part two of my question do you pitch just the slurry off the starter?

Cold-crash the starter, decant, pitch the slurry only.