Mast tun, er BIAB

That is nice but does it have the distillery attachment. I’m not getting either. Although the grainfather is $800 vs $2900

It does have a distillery attachment. That BIAC is such a cool unit. It’s everything in one including the wort chiller and it has a jacket to keep at the proper temp while fermenting. I could see something like this for a Micro brewery to test new recipes, but that price will keep it from the average home brewer. Now if I win the lottery, that’s a different story :slight_smile:

1 Like

I looked at that too, after I started my build up. The one thing I wouldn’t like is having the conical as the MT/BK…… I would rather have that seperated, which is what I’m doing. I want to leave the fermenting side to its self and when I get busy I will crank out as many as I can put in the ferment cham-burrr… Sneezles61

That’s a good point. Who brews one Bach at a time if they are going to spend that kind of money. I sometimes have four or five fermenters going at once. I like at least for now 5 gallon fermenters. They are easier to move around.

That was my thought as well. I want to leave as much gunk in the BK as I can. I also saw it as you could only have one fermenting at a time. During these periods when my basement is cool I will have a 10gal and 5gal batch going in conicals and at least another 5gal batch in carboy. I’m not against the $3000 price tag as I easily have that quadrupled in my system but am against the Only one at a time use.

I’m with brew cat about using something I can handle man-ually… I would like to have some conicals, but not just yet…. Sneezles61

OK, the new set up has gone thru a test spin/cleaning and today brewed my first BIAB… done in about three hours. ALTHOUGH, I made some stuff that doesn’t readily come apart so I boiled and recirc to clean, sort of a CIP… I had a lager yeast cake that was still viable so I just had to!! Sneezles61

What did you think?

I moved my mash tuns out to the garage! The problem I created was that I kept circulating the whole time mashing…. maybe just hit and miss would be as efficient? I will be looking forward to my next brew day…. in about 2 weeks when my lager ferments out and I can throw it into a keg for aging… I did do a few boo boo’s but I expect that. Using a basket was just sweet! I’ll bet I can get 5 gallons out in 3 hours next round! Hooked may be the word! Sneezles61

I had a homeBrewer here that spent the holiday with us and needless to say we had a lot to talk about. He is dedicated to his tun but I think I got him interested in a hybrid. What I told him to do is get rid of the false bottom in his cooler tun and do his mash in a brew bag in the cooler. Heat his sparge water in his brew pot. Pull the bag let it drain then toss it in the brew pot for a batch sparge. Combine the wort and proceed with brewing. Its a baby step.