Mason Jar Sanitization

does anyone out there sanitize mason jars in the microwave? i’ve heard that you can bring water in the mason jars to a boil for a minute or two, slap on some aluminum foil, and the whole thing will pasteurize (effectively sanitizing) as it cools to useable temperature… this was in reference to washing and repitching yeast,

Any thoughts?!

Sounds reasonable.

Sure…or you could just sanitize the jars with StarSan…works for me!

Thanks… I’ve used Star San myself in the past… but I was figuring maybe the water would be useful? I’ve never really washed the yeast in the past, just repitched the slurry directly. I might try it just as an alternative to my normal process! I don’t think there’s any risk of contaminants, at least no more risk than anything else.

Not sure that cooking water for two minutes in the microwave is good enough for yeast harvesting - I prefer to boil the water for at least 15 minutes and StarSan the Ball jars. Or use the pressure cooker to sterilize everything at one time.

Do them in a pressure cooker…Old fashioned way like my Granny used to do before canning preserves!

Took the words out of my mouth. I either dunk the jar and pieces in a bucket of starsan or if I don’t have any mixed up, I’ll just spray the jar down with a spray bottle of starsan. Easy!

Took the words out of my mouth. I either dunk the jar and pieces in a bucket of starsan or if I don’t have any mixed up, I’ll just spray the jar down with a spray bottle of starsan. Easy![/quote]
Yep, I spray the jar down, fill with yeast, then put saran wrap over it before screwing on the lid.