Mashout in Bru'n Water

I’m a batch-sparger who typically performs a mashout. In working through Bru’n Water, I’m not sure where to account for the volume of water use in the mashout.

Tab 3. Water Adjustment

• Do I include the mashout addition with the “Mash” or “Sparge” water?

Tab 4. Mash Acidification

• Do I include the mashout addition in the “Mash Water Volume”?

If you’re batch sparging why even do a separate mashout? Drain your tun, pour in the sparge over the spent grains so that its slightly over 168F, enzyme activity will stop, and drain that into your kettle. Easy.
That’s how I do it, and then in Bru’nWater you just have to do your Mash and Sparge calculations to get your water right.

If you feel you need to do a separate mashout, just change your “sparge” adjustment to account for the volume of both your mashout AND your sparge, and adjust the pH and salts accordingly.

Thanks for the help. That’s what I suspected: that the mashout water should be considered sparge water since it’s added at the end.

Believe me, I’m beginning to experiment with dropping the mashout step. However, I just upgraded from a 20qt to a 36qt mash tun and I’m excited to brew at least one batch with a mashout just to see how much easier it all fits in the new cooler.

[quote=“Brick1083”]Thanks for the help. That’s what I suspected: that the mashout water should be considered sparge water since it’s added at the end.

Believe me, I’m beginning to experiment with dropping the mashout step. However, I just upgraded from a 20qt to a 36qt mash tun and I’m excited to brew at least one batch with a mashout just to see how much easier it all fits in the new cooler.[/quote]

I stopped doing a mashout years ago. Now I just sparge with 185-190F water which does pretty much the same thing in an easier manner. It’s unnecessary effort that doesn’t fit my “pragmatic” philosophy.

+1 no mash out and use hotter sparge to raise grain bed temp to near 168F.

+1 on no mashout.

I’ve read one of denny’s posts a while ago about just using hotter water to sparge to get to around 168 mashout temp and going with it. It’s worked for me as well.