Mashing

anybody used one of these before?

Stainless Steel Bazooka Screen hooked up to a square cooler, instead of the false bottom system?

thanks

Yes, I did it that way for years. Works very well. Never a stuck mash.

I use one, but in a 10 gallon round Rubbermaid cooler. Works great.

Stainless steel water line braid. Less expensive.

Yep. Having used both the braid and a Bazooka, I find the wort clears more quickly using the braid.

I got stuck mashes all the time when I used a bazooka screen. I just fitted my cooler with a braid a couple days ago, looking forward to checking it out.

Yep. Having used both the braid and a Bazooka, I find the wort clears more quickly using the braid.[/quote]
Why do you suppose there’d be a difference Denny?

I could see this, the braid is certainly not as fine as a mesh screen. You can still stick a braid with a fine enough grist and/or gooey adjuncts.

Same here! I only had 1 stuck mash, but that was my fault. I had double milled rye malt.

Yep. Having used both the braid and a Bazooka, I find the wort clears more quickly using the braid.[/quote]
Why do you suppose there’d be a difference Denny?
[/quote]

I attribute it to the finer mesh on the braid. Other than the clearing, though, the Bazooka worked fine for me.

One more vote for the braid, but please allow me to make a couple of suggestions from experience.

1, A 6" braid will work just as well or better than a 12" braid so don’t pay for the longer line,and it won’t interfere as much when you stir the mash.

2, Wear gloves when you remove the braid from the plastic liner. I have no mechanical ability what so ever, and by the time I got it apart my hands looked like I had been wrestling a PO’d wet cat.

[quote=“flytyer”]One more vote for the braid, but please allow me to make a couple of suggestions from experience.

1, A 6" braid will work just as well or better than a 12" braid so don’t pay for the longer line,and it won’t interfere as much when you stir the mash.

2, Wear gloves when you remove the braid from the plastic liner. I have no mechanical ability what so ever, and by the time I got it apart my hands looked like I had been wrestling a PO’d wet cat.[/quote]

Great suggestions!