Mashing at night and boiling in the morning

I tried the boiling in a bag process and have not had to much luck yet. I mashed the grain but it was too late and I gave up. I did not dump anything out yet can I boil it in the morning without disastrous results.

Also I would like to add my crush was super course and I didn’t hit my og I was thinking of adding dme but I sort of just want to take a mulligan with properly crushed grain.

Did you run off the wort yet? I have heard of people mashing using their oven to maintain temps overnight and sparging in the morning. I have never tried it though.

How much did you miss the OG by. Normally your OG would be taken post boil so the loss of some liquid will drive the number up a little. There is no problem adding DME to the boil to obtain your target gravity. It is done frequently when brewing huge beers like a Barley Wine and your equipment is not large enough for that much grain.

Keep going with it. It would be a pity to give up if there is a chance it will still come out OK. You already have time and money invested so why not? Might even come out great. Keep us posted.

[quote=“vco”]I tried the boiling in a bag process and have not had to much luck yet. I mashed the grain but it was too late and I gave up. I did not dump anything out yet can I boil it in the morning without disastrous results.

Also I would like to add my crush was super course and I didn’t hit my og I was thinking of adding dme but I sort of just want to take a mulligan with properly crushed grain.[/quote]

like in golf, you should play it as it lies. :slight_smile: As said above (and as in golf), it might even turn out better than you expected. Add some DME, give it a 90 minute boil as its been sitting around, top off with some H20 if you lose too much in boil off, ferment, package, drink, and smile.

I was wondering about close to the same thing. I want to brew a barleywine and add more water to mash a second time for a regular brown ale. I was wondering about leaving the grains in the mash tun and putting the whole thing in the cooler overnight then adding the water for the second mash in the morning. Or would it be better to do the second mash and sparge and put that in the fridge over night and boil the next day?

That.

I split my brewing EVERY time. I gather my wort by 7:00 pm…bring it to 190 degrees and cover the pot with 2 thick towels. At 5:00 am I start the boil.

Been brewing like this for 5 years. Got tired of the long day process.

That.[/quote]

Cool, I dread the thought of trying to keep track of two batches the same day especially the boiling.

I ain’t reel equipped to gooder for multy taskin’ at the hot thingy. :oops:

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“vco”]I tried the boiling in a bag process and have not had to much luck yet. I mashed the grain but it was too late and I gave up. I did not dump anything out yet can I boil it in the morning without disastrous results.

Also I would like to add my crush was super course and I didn’t hit my og I was thinking of adding dme but I sort of just want to take a mulligan with properly crushed grain.[/quote]

like in golf, you should play it as it lies. :slight_smile: As said above (and as in golf), it might even turn out better than you expected. Add some DME, give it a 90 minute boil as its been sitting around, top off with some H20 if you lose too much in boil off, ferment, package, drink, and smile.[/quote]
Sounds like a great idea. I think i would come out pretty good. The coarse crushed grain probably to blame for low OG