Mash/Sparge for Innkeeper AG - 5 gal

I’m thoroughly confused as to how much volume for the mashin should be and then how much to add for the mashout…I’ll be batch sparging. Do I half and half or do I add like 8 qt for mash in, and then batch sparge with 5.78 gals split between two equal amounts?

I wish there were instructions on the mashing part especially with vols on the sacc rest and the mashout…and then if you are fly sparging or batch sparging. I’m not a pro here…

Thanks

[quote=“dkuhn74”]I’m thoroughly confused as to how much volume for the mashin should be and then how much to add for the mashout…I’ll be batch sparging. Do I half and half or do I add like 8 qt for mash in, and then batch sparge with 5.78 gals split between two equal amounts?

I wish there were instructions on the mashing part especially with vols on the sacc rest and the mashout…and then if you are fly sparging or batch sparging. I’m not a pro here…

Thanks[/quote]

This question totally stressed me out on my first couple AG batches. Dennybrew.com helped me realize it wasn’t worth stressing over.

Shoot for 1/2 your preboil volume from each of your 2 runnings. So if you want say 6.8 gals to boil you need 3.4 plus any volume lost to grain absorption appr .9 qt per lb of grain and mash tun dead space. That’s your mash in volume. Then sparge until you get your preboil vol.

I make this beer a lot BIAB and I usually mashin with 4-4.5 gals. I sparge with whatever it takes to get to my target preboil volume. Usually under 3 gallons.

[quote]This question totally stressed me out on my first couple AG batches. Dennybrew.com helped me realize it wasn’t worth stressing over. [/quote] +1
Here’s what’s been working for me - I think I got it from Dennybrew.com - but that was a year’s worth of homebrew ago -
lbs. of grain x 1.25 = quarts of water you’ll need for your strike water. Heat that to about 175. About 20 minutes in, start heating up your sparge water - I always heat up 5 gallons to 170-180, but it depends on how much comes out of your mash tun - you’ll need a total of 6.5 or thereabouts, so be able to measure the volume of your first runnings -
volume of first runnings + sparge water = 6.5.

I love the innkeeper - not on my schedule till spring though.