Mangrove Jack's craft series yeast

Anyone out there try these yet?

Never even heard of it.

Looks to be a NZ company
http://mangrovejacks.com/pages/contact-us

Do you have a link to a US store carrying their product?

The numbers seem to be off between their pouches and boxes. Says they’re cold filled, I assume it’s LME.

Me neither, but I’m mildly curious.
Only US source I could find (so far) is a company called Bader Beer & Wine Supply in Vancouver, WA
[b]http://baderbrewing.com/products/mangrove-jacks-craft-series-yeast[/b]

Only US source I could find (so far) is a company called Bader Beer & Wine Supply in Vancouver, WA
[b]http://baderbrewing.com/products/mangrove-jacks-craft-series-yeast[/b][/quote]

Decent prices, and not to far from me. I might have to pick some up for future batches

[b]http://baderbrewing.com/products/mangrove-jacks-craft-series-yeast[/b][/quote]

Decent prices, and not to far from me. I might have to pick some up for future batches[/quote]

I checked the website and it says “coming soon” for all the yeast.

Bader is my local and I just recently saw the yeast and some beer kits listed on their web site; haven’t been there in a while, but will be brewing an IPA before too long so I’ll be dropping in there by the end of the month.
I can catch a bus two blocks from my house that drops me off across the street from Bader. I brew three gallon batches so there’s no problem fitting the ingredients in my backpack.

RebelBrewer appears to have it now:

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/brand/mangrove-jacks/

I just tried to order some, but the Belgian yeast link crapped out. Just e-mailed them to see what’s going on.

If they have decent Belgian & Hefe yeasts, that would be nice.

hi all…

re: The new Mangrove Jack’s Dry Yeast; another U.S.A source is The Rebel Brewer homebrew supply shop out of Tenn. www.rebelbrewer.com
I just placed an order for a few pacs of their workhorse strain; having seen their advertising, I’m naturally curious how well the yeast behaves. In the coming few months I plan to make an American Porter using it; I will let you people know how it turns out.
Keep on brewin…

Baddboyii

I brewed a hefe yesterday with the M20 yeast. The rehyrdrated yeast smelled nice. I’m hoping this will be similar to the Weihenstephan strain. We shall see…

Never used it, but Williams Brewing in California looks like they carry the full line, google em!

Yep, Farmhouse Brewing Supply also has them. The hefe I brewed with the M20 yeast turned out nice. Gravity didn’t finish where I wanted it though, pooped out at 1.016. But it turned out nice, good banana esters that I wanted. Would like to try the Bohemian lager one and the Workhorse.

Beersk,

At what temperature did you ferment your hefe?

[quote=“jeebeel”]Beersk,

At what temperature did you ferment your hefe?[/quote]
68F. The flavor was good, had a nice banana flavor, low on phenols and cloves. This is closer to Weihenstephaner than the White Labs hefe yeast, I believe. I have some more of it, I’ll try it again, maybe at 65F to see how it’s different.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“jeebeel”]Beersk,

68F. The flavor was good, had a nice banana flavor, low on phenols and cloves. This is closer to Weihenstephaner than the White Labs hefe yeast, I believe. I have some more of it, I’ll try it again, maybe at 65F to see how it’s different.[/quote]

Thanks - I’ll have to try it and see how it compares to my trusty WL Hefe IV fermented at 62.

Last weekend I brewed an oktoberfest with the Mangrove Jack’s bohemian lager. Interested to see how it turns out.

[quote=“jeebeel”][quote=“Beersk”][quote=“jeebeel”]Beersk,

68F. The flavor was good, had a nice banana flavor, low on phenols and cloves. This is closer to Weihenstephaner than the White Labs hefe yeast, I believe. I have some more of it, I’ll try it again, maybe at 65F to see how it’s different.[/quote]

Thanks - I’ll have to try it and see how it compares to my trusty WL Hefe IV fermented at 62.

Last weekend I brewed an oktoberfest with the Mangrove Jack’s bohemian lager. Interested to see how it turns out.[/quote]
How long did it take for it to take off? I had a 36 hour lag time at least, it was a bit annoying. It’s going now after 3 days with about an inch krausen, maybe slightly less. I have it fermenting at 54ish degrees, which is higher than I usually do, but that’s middle of the range for that yeast. Interested to see how it turns out…

About the same for me, maybe a bit sooner. The day after I brewed the oktoberfest, I made a kellerbier and used WY 2206 bavarian lager. By the next morning it was already fermenting. I have the chest freezer set at 52 and will probably bump it up to 54 in few days. Let’s compare notes later on how our beers turn out.

Back to your hefeweizen, do you have a go-to recipe that you usually do and this time tried the mangrove jack’s yeast for grins? If so, I would be curious how the beers compared. My standard hefeweizen (50% wheat, 25% pils, 25% lt. munich fermented with WL Hefe IV at 62) always turns out so good that I am very reluctant to change anything.

[quote=“jeebeel”]About the same for me, maybe a bit sooner. The day after I brewed the oktoberfest, I made a kellerbier and used WY 2206 bavarian lager. By the next morning it was already fermenting. I have the chest freezer set at 52 and will probably bump it up to 54 in few days. Let’s compare notes later on how our beers turn out.

Back to your hefeweizen, do you have a go-to recipe that you usually do and this time tried the mangrove jack’s yeast for grins? If so, I would be curious how the beers compared. My standard hefeweizen (50% wheat, 25% pils, 25% lt. munich fermented with WL Hefe IV at 62) always turns out so good that I am very reluctant to change anything.[/quote]
I’ll post back when my Oktoberfest is ready.

My hefe was simple for the batch I brewed with the Mangrove Jack’s hefe yeast. Just 50% white wheat and 50% 2-row. Mittelfruh to about 18 IBUs. I thought it was pretty banana-y, which is what I wanted, fermented at 68F. Was disappointed with the finishing gravity though. I’ll try it again to see if it was just that batch or something was off.
But, if you dig the recipe you go, I’d stick with it. I just don’t like getting liquid yeast shipped during the summer months. Always looking for good dry options.

I ran a series with the workhorse strain this spring–american wheat to pale ale to IPA. With the IPA getting ready to blow, I thought I’d post my observations.

–I’ve seen some speculate that it is Cry Havoc. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. It certainly isn’t another variation on the Chico strain. Nor is it Pacman, as I had hoped. It isn’t an aggressive top cropper, so it likely hails from the lager side of the street.

–It’s a quick worker, but it’s not quite the fast flocculator that the manufacturer claims. Mangrove Jack claims it’s suitable for cask conditioning, but it’s no WY1968. It’s an improvement over the Chico strain in the floccing department, but there are many better alternatives. Moreover, as my tasting notes indicate, I’m not sure what you’d want to cask condition with it.

–As advertised, it’s clean and neutral when fermented in the low 60’s. The yeast attenuated well and left a clean, dry finish. I did pick up a tiny hint of tartness in the finish of the wheat and the pale ale, but that really is the extent of its personality. The tartness was completely drown out by the IPA. Each of the beers were started at 64 and allowed to free raise to 74 after the first two days. Bottom line, it’s clean to the point of transparency. Perhaps starting it around 66 will yield more personality?

Overall, this is a useful yeast for beers that are designed to showcase the recipe. I thought it was quite good for these warm weather beers.The subtle tartness in the finish worked especially well in the american wheat. In the pale ale and the IPA the yeast was competent but didn’t do much to recommend itself. I’d rather use Pacman, but the workhorse yeast is a nice alternative to keeping a pack of US-56 in the fridge for spur of the moment brew days. It’s certainly worth giving this yeast a shot.