Mangrove Jack M-07

I brewed a three gallon batch of rye bitter yesterday using the M-07 yeast.
I pitched the yeast at 2:30 pm into wort at 64f (just chucked it in like the label said to do). By 10 pm I had a small amount of foam beginning to form and at 10 this morning the air lock was burping every eight seconds with about a 1/2 inch layer of foam.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]I brewed a three gallon batch of rye bitter yesterday using the M-07 yeast.
I pitched the yeast at 2:30 pm into wort at 64f (just chucked it in like the label said to do). By 10 pm I had a small amount of foam beginning to form and at 10 this morning the air lock was burping every eight seconds with about a 1/2 inch layer of foam.[/quote]

This morning it is burping 10 times in 17 seconds and the foam is an inch thick.

I used the same yeast (for the first time) on a 22 gallon batch of Bavarian Helles OG=1.058 and still no activity after 65 hours. I just opened the fermenter and there is a half inch of bubbles/krauzen on top. I pitched 8 packets of the yeast and the beer is at 52F constant. Is this normal? I have not done a lager since 2001.

YES. Mangrove Jack’s is insane. The lager yeast takes forever to get going. I can’t get any of their yeasts to attenuate properly even with pure o2, low mash temps, adjusted water, and proper fermentation temps. Maybe there’s something else I’m missing…

M-07 is not a lager yeast. I’d be surprised if it did much of anything at 52f.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Rookie L A”]I brewed a three gallon batch of rye bitter yesterday using the M-07 yeast.
I pitched the yeast at 2:30 pm into wort at 64f (just chucked it in like the label said to do). By 10 pm I had a small amount of foam beginning to form and at 10 this morning the air lock was burping every eight seconds with about a 1/2 inch layer of foam.[/quote]

This morning it is burping 10 times in 17 seconds and the foam is an inch thick.[/quote]

This morning it is going once every 8 seconds. I’ll give it until the middle of next week then take a gravity reading.

M-07 is not a lager yeast. I’d be surprised if it did much of anything at 52f.[/quote]I need to read more carefully. I saw the name and thought it was the same. This here is what I used: Mangrove Jack’s: Craft Series Beer Yeast / Bohemian Lager / M84
Sorry for the confusion

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I used the same yeast (for the first time) on a 22 gallon batch of Bavarian Helles OG=1.058 and still no activity after 65 hours. I just opened the fermenter and there is a half inch of bubbles/krauzen on top. I pitched 8 packets of the yeast and the beer is at 52F constant. Is this normal? I have not done a lager since 2001.[/quote]My Helles lager is going very well now with lots of krausen and the airlocks are burping more than once per second. It just took forever to get going. The fermenters are showing 52-55F and the ambient is the same.

I’m planning a lager before too long and was thinking about giving the MJ lager a go, but not with a 65 hour lag. I’ll stick with 34/70.

I’m planning a lager before too long and was thinking about giving the MJ lager a go, but not with a 65 hour lag. I’ll stick with 34/70.[/quote]Good call. I don’t think I would ever use it again. 8 packs was not cheap either.

I’m planning a lager before too long and was thinking about giving the MJ lager a go, but not with a 65 hour lag. I’ll stick with 34/70.[/quote]
You’ll be glad you did.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“MullerBrau”]
I’m planning a lager before too long and was thinking about giving the MJ lager a go, but not with a 65 hour lag. I’ll stick with 34/70.[/quote]
You’ll be glad you did.[/quote][/quote]

I managed to get some S-189 and will be using that on my next lager.

I’m on a dry yeast kick in the past 6 mos. and would love to try S-189. I’ve done a couple of lagers with 34/70 and have been pleased with them.

S-189 is hard to find.
I located a supply at atlanticbrewsupply.com
$4.20 a pack and you have the option to have them mailed to you.