Malt for English bitters

I brewed an English Bitters several months ago(essentially an Ordinary Bitters) and used Maris Otter malt as the backbone, Wyeast West Yorkshire ale, and EKG and Styrian goldings. OG was 1.045. For my first attempt it was ok, but not one of my best efforts…I want to change this one up and give it another go…

As far as the grist, has anyone tried Golden Promise? I have read that is the malt used for TTaylors Landlord, and have wondered if there is an appreciable difference?

Which brand Maris Otter did you use? LHBS only has Munton’s, and I haven’t been a fan of it. Crisp is nice, but those are the only two.

For bitters, though, I REALLY like Golden Promise and Halcyon, with the edge going to Halcyon. Might just be in my head, but Halcyon has such a nice, nutty taste that works great in the style.

There is a difference-- one is not better than the other but they are different. To me, Maris Otter is toasty like a saltine cracker. Golden Promise is sweeter and “rounder” tasting.

I like both malts but if I had to live with just one, it would be Golden Promise.

Our LHBS has and I used Crisp. They list Simpson’s Golden Promise in stock but not Halcyon.

[quote=“Voodoo donut”]I brewed an English Bitters several months ago(essentially an Ordinary Bitters) and used Maris Otter malt as the backbone, Wyeast West Yorkshire ale, and EKG and Styrian goldings. OG was 1.045. For my first attempt it was ok, but not one of my best efforts…I want to change this one up and give it another go…

As far as the grist, has anyone tried Golden Promise? I have read that is the malt used for TTaylors Landlord, and have wondered if there is an appreciable difference?[/quote]

What was the actual recipe?
I brewed a bitter with M O and carastan that was good but not quite right. I added some victory the next time and that one really hit the spot.

Grist was 8 lbs of MO and 1 lb of crystal malt 77 lovibond. 60 minute boil. Hops and yeast as above.

How much victory malt?

Should be a good bitter. Did you burtonize your stanky nasty FL water?

Yep. Mash pH 5.24. S/Cl ratio 1.6.

It seems to be improving a bit with time, but I’m not married to this recipe like I am my hefe :wink:
So I want to try out some variations. Sulfate was 164… More?

A Brit who tried it liked it but I think he wanted to keep the free ale coming!

[quote=“Voodoo donut”]Grist was 8 lbs of MO and 1 lb of crystal malt 77 lovibond. 60 minute boil. Hops and yeast as above.

How much victory malt?[/quote]

Four ounces in a three gallon batch.