Making wine for the first time, Hints and tips please!

Hello everyone, I’m a bit of a novice home brewer but any ways I would just like some tips and some advice on how to make sure my wine is perfection. What to do and not to do etc… And what happens if you ferment your wine more than once?

Are you making from a kit or from scratch?

By fermenting more than once, do you mean adding more sugar as a chaptalization step, or are we talking malolactic fermentation, or something else?

Making it all from scratch except the beer is from a kit. I’ve started beer, Kombucha and wine. Just started the wine, and was wondering what the effects would be adding more sugar and yeast when the first fermentation is doing, (I’m very new) what is a chaptalization step and what is malolactic do?

What you are describing is Chaptalization. Let the majority of the fermentation take place (over 5-7 days likely.) Then add sugar to boost the alcohol. You would not need to add more yeast.

The only real problem with adding additional sugar to wine as you are planning to is that you could get too much alcohol and throw the wine out of balance.

What are you making the wine from? Wrong time of year to get fresh grapes…

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]The only real problem with adding additional sugar to wine as you are planning to is that you could get too much alcohol and throw the wine out of balance.

What are you making the wine from? Wrong time of year to get fresh grapes…[/quote]

I definately agree with this. There should be a reason to make an addition like this, as well as considderation to the balancing factors like flavor, acidity, sweetness, structure etc.