Making the switch to a plate chiller

I bought a plate chiller and pump, but now i am leaning towards getting a larger immersion chiller. My concerns and cleaning and sanitizing the plate chiller. Prior to use do you need to sanitize it? Boiling wort will get pushed through first. Same with the pump. Do you guys have a good process that you have success with for sanitizing and cleaning a plate chiller and pump?

Thanks

http://www.simplybeer.com/2012/08/13/cl ... e-chiller/

I live in a pretty small place in the city with a small outdoor area, so my set up is not conducive to a plate chiller. So I have one and a pump that are sitting idle.

I have a plate chiller, and to be honest, I find it a pain to keep clean. I would pump PBW through it, rinse it, and dry it in the oven after using. When using it to chill, I would first recirculate boiling wort through it for a few minutes to sterilize. I would also use a mesh bag for hops to keep as much out of the chiller as possible. I was never confident it was clean, though.

I quit using it and now just use my immersion chiller. It is a lot easier for me, just rinse it off with the hose when I am done. My ground water in Michigan is pretty cold to begin with though, so I don’t have issues chilling. I also usually let the wort chill in my kegerator overnight before pitching anyways.

I love my plate chiller. I clean my pump and hoses with hot PBW after every brew, so I just add the plate chiller into the loop and we’re good to go. Then I sterilize it in the oven before use (I use time-bake the night before and it is sterile and cool by morning).
YMMV

After the sparge, and during the boil I will heat the remaining water in the HLT to near boiling and then circulate through the pump and chillers to sanitize them and get whatever other debris out that may be stuck from previous batches that didn’t get rinsed out. Once I get to the last part of the boil I’ll hook up the pump and chillers to the boil kettle and start to recirculate wort. No issues with sanitation because nothing lives through the heat.

At the end of the day they get flushed both ways for a few minutes and that is all. Sometimes I will recirculate hot PBW for 30 minutes to ensure that nothing is in there building up. All that ever comes out is some little bits.

I keep it simple because it doesn’t matter if there is a little debris from previous brews.

[quote=“Dean Palmer”]After the sparge, and during the boil I will heat the remaining water in the HLT to near boiling and then circulate through the pump and chillers to sanitize them and get whatever other debris out that may be stuck from previous batches that didn’t get rinsed out. Once I get to the last part of the boil I’ll hook up the pump and chillers to the boil kettle and start to recirculate wort. No issues with sanitation because nothing lives through the heat.

At the end of the day they get flushed both ways for a few minutes and that is all. Sometimes I will recirculate hot PBW for 30 minutes to ensure that nothing is in there building up. All that ever comes out is some little bits.

I keep it simple because it doesn’t matter if there is a little debris from previous brews.[/quote]

Good advice!!! Very Simple. I will try that with the HLT water.

If you have a pump and plate chiller just sitting around. I will buy it off of you for a good price.

:stuck_out_tongue: