Making hop plugs just before adding to wort

I’m in my 3rd year of brewing and will be going into my 2nd year of growing my own hops. I have read about the use of whole hops and the disadvantage of beer loss due to the hops absorbing so much liquid and the space they take up in beer (I want to start dry-hopping with whole hops this year, and I’m trying to figure out how to get all those hops in there). I’ve also heard of home-made hop plugs, but there is the very real concern of oxidation due to rupture of lupulin glands and exposure to oxygen. Has anyone taken vacuum sealed whole hops out of the freezer, compressed them into plugs, and then added them to your beer? Or is this a waste of time, potential loss of hop oils, etc.? Also, are the problems with use of whole hops overrated or very real? I’ve only used them once for flavor and aroma and couldn’t really tell. Thanks.

The problems with whole hops are vastly overstated. In addition, plugs are made of whole hops and you generally break them up before using. In that case, there would be no advantage in terms of absorption.