Making a stout with mocha/coffeer

Someone bought me a Tru Brew Irish Stout kit :

http://www.amazon.com/Brew-Irish-Stout- ... B003SSBYBU

I wanted to add some stuff to make it more like Founders Breakfast stout which has chocolate, oatmeal, and coffee.

I saw Northern brewer has the mocha coffee ingredients I can add.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/botl-the-mocha.html

Is it OK to add this? Do I have to adjust my recipe in any way?
Will this taste anything like the Breakfast stout?

Thank you

I’m sure that would be fine in a beer like that. It’s interesting that they show actual chocolate in the picture because that is not what cocoa nibs are. They are just cocoa shells and will add more of a bitter chocolate flavor/aroma than the sweet chocolate flavor we usually associate with, well…chocolate I guess. As for the coffee I personally like cold brewing some coffee and adding to the secondary.

You could go ahead and buy that but it seems a bit expensive for some coffee and chocolate.

I think so. It says to add to secondary - were you going to use a secondary?

Yea I was planning on adding to the secondary.

Here’s what Founders breakfast stout ingredients:

The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, and Sumatra and Kona coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever.

Is the chocolate they are talking about cocao nibs or sweet cholcolate like a bar.

Why not just do founders breakfast stout clone.

I did one and the bourbon barrelled. It’s on tap right now. Came out pretty damn good.

Here is an extract recipe with all grain options on the bottom.

http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/articl ... tout-clone

Founder’s Brewing Company Breakfast Stout

(5 gallons/ 19 L, extract with grains) OG = 1.078 FG = 1.020 IBUs = 60 SRM = 59 ABV = 7.5 %

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
1.7 lbs. (0.77 kg) light dry extract
22 oz. (0.62 kg) flaked oats
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) chocolate malt (350 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) roast barley malt (450 °L)
9.0 oz. (0.25 kg) debittered, black malt (530 °L)
7.0 oz. (0.19 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Kona coffee
2.5 oz. (71 g) dark, bittersweet baker’s chocolate
1.5 oz. (43 g) unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops (60 min.) (1.1 oz./ 31 g of 13% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5 % alpha acid)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 minutes)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes
White Labs WLP 001 (American Ale) or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) of corn sugar for priming (if bottling)

Step by Step:

Steep the crushed grain in 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water at 155 ºF (68 ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort and rinse with 2 quarts (1.8 L) of hot water. Add the liquid and dried malt extracts and bring to a boil. Add the hops and Irish moss as per the schedule. Add the Sumatran coffee and two chocolate varieties at the end of the boil. Add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cold water in a sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (19 L). Cool the wort to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitch the yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete. Transfer to a carboy, avoiding any splashing. Add the Kona coffee and condition for one week, then bottle or keg. Carbonate and age for two weeks.

All-grain option:

This is a single step infusion mash. Replace the malt extracts with 13.2 lbs. (6 kg) 2-row pale malt. Mix the crushed grains with 3.75 gallons (14 L) of 172 °F (78° C) water to stabilize at 155 ºF (68º C) for 60 minutes. Sparge slowly with 175 ºF (79º C) water. Collect approximately 6 gallons (23 L) of wort runoff to boil for 60 minutes. Reduce the 60 minute hop addition to 1 oz. (28 g) and the 30 minute addition to 0.4 oz. (11 g) to allow for the higher utilization factor of a full wort boil. Follow the remainder of the extract with grain recipe.