Making a Starter in the Fermentor?

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who uses their fermentor when making starters, as in make a gallon or so of 1.030ish wort, pitch the yeast into it, and then decant off the ‘beer’ on brew day just before putting your actual brew into the fermentor.

I’ve done this before because I don’t have a stir plate and the dopplebock I was making called for a starter bigger than my E. Flask and it seemed to work fine, but I’ve also heard people make arguments against having too much air space in the fermentor, but I’m not sure if that would apply here since you’re not actually using the beer from the starter.

Thanks for any help!

It’s perfectly fine. I’ve done it. I just don’t like picking up the big carboy and swirling it.

You’ll be fine doing it this way, even for lagers. I’ve actually gotten away from using a stir plate (unless I’m harvesting from a minute amount i.e dredges from a bottle). Here’s the process I’ve been using and have found it rather effective. Only hard part is planning it around high krausen.
Click here for the link

For lagers I’ve been putting the starter in my lagering chest (adjusted temp) a few days prior to brewing for high krausen pitching. I’ve also done it 2 weeks before so it completely ferments out only to add more starter wort for a stepped starter thus higher pitch rate.

Which also reminds me… Anyone want to buy a maelstrom stir plate that has been used 4 times?!? :wink: