Making a porter

I’m making a scotch ale and I am planning to party gyle. Originally I was going to make a brown ale with the seconds but I’m not a fan of browns but I do like porters. Since I’m only working with golden promise or MO and roasted barley what else can I add to get to a porter mouth feel. Maybe some type of DME

IMO, some dark DME and perhaps steep some crystal.

Chocolate malt is the classic porter malt. I think steeping some chocolate should actually work quite well for you from a scotch ale runoff.

If I steep grains would I steep them in the runnings or would I hold back some water to steep in? Would I get the same amount of fermentable sugar from steeping as I would in mashing?

You don’t get much in the way of fermentables from crystal or roast malts. They’re mostly used for flavor and color so steeping is fine. I’d drop muslin bag of the c or roast malts you want into the second runnings and raise the temp to about 150 for a 20-30 min steep, pull the bag and boil.

I just brewed a robust porter with 7.5 lbs 2 row, 1.5 lbs munich, 8 oz black patent and 4 ounces choc malt. The black patent gives it a dry roastiness. I like my porters closer to a stout and less sweet. This one turned out really good last time I brewed it. I fermented with WY1272 because i had a ton of slurry on hand. I think this was similar to Anchor Porter’s open fermented porter. I didn’t open ferment it.

Never did a parti gyle but if I did I would have some DME around to ensure my gravity on the 2nd beer hits my number. My guess is you’ll need it for the porter to be typical strength. I’d be sure to have done some calcs and estimations beforehand of what to expect in terms of gravity.

If I went for it, I would collect first runnings for the scotch and get them into kettle. I would then add the crushed dark grains on top of the mash and add sparge water. Be sure to take some hydro or refractometer readings (cooled) to gauge progress. Add DME if necessary.

Ii have done double batches before with good luck I am trying to build a recipe bank of doubles. So far done Belgian/saison and IPA/session with very good luck. Usually mash about 26lbs. I calculate the percentages and split between two pots. This one is a little more complicated because I need to take some first tunning to carmelize and also the bump (if any) from the steeping grains.

I agree with zwiller- for the porter add 4-6 oz. chocolate malt. I’d also suggest some brown malt. The 2 porters I’ve added that to turned out real special. Last year’s batch I used 1/2 lb. , this year a full lb. Brown malt can be used in the Scottish as well.

I’ve got all my ingredients already. MO for the base with some roasted barley. Going to steep in 1/2 lb of chocolate malt after draining the mash. I’m torn between adding maple syrup or bourbon soaked oak or neither of both. I have some dark maple syrup left over from last season that I made and thought about adding that to the boil not sure when to add it early or late. If my gravity is low because of being a party gyle I will definitely add it. Never had a problem with gravity though,I did saison at 8.7abv and a Belgian blonde at 7.5abv off a party gyle and that’s where this scotch ale/porter gyle ABV should be if all goes well. Brewing tomorrow Sunday, never done either of these styles before so kind of winging it.

You don’t need to go to the hassle of steeping the chocolate malt. After you run off for your wee heavy, just add the chocolate malt to the mash before you add more water. After yo add water, let it sit for 15 min, or so. Done it many times.

Well D I would but I don’t split the mash 50/50. 1st run goes 60% scotch 40% porter! second goes 40% scotch 60% porter! third run goes 50/50. I guess I could calculate the second run all for the scotch ale and the third all for the porter. I am worried that there is a difference from second to third runnings.

Wow, that’s complicated! Never thought of doing a partigyle like that!

Not that complicated just need to do some pencil work and wright it down before you begin. Got the formula from rebuiltcellars. I’m having a beer chilling the second boil right now. Nailed the scotch ale BG but the porter BG was about 4 pts high. We’ll see where the OG s come in .

Everything went well so far. The porter reached my desired OG so I didn’t add the maple syrup so I am going to add oak and bourbon. Never done it so any advice from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Take oak cubes, soak in bourbon for 2 weeks, dump into fermentor (including bourbon if you want a stronger taste), sample every few days until you have the flavour amount you want.

If you like, you could also steep some coffee and add that to get a bit more complexity also.

I think I’ve read that Fullers (one of the few big brewer still using batch sparging) makes their main line-up of beers all from the same mash, just varying the proportions of the various runnings to get the wort for each specific beer, and then of course they differ the process and ingredients post-mash.

It is also true that second or third runnings can be weak in flavor, not just in sugar, and a bit of first runnings mixed in will go a long way to correcting that, even if the total amount isn’t that much. Or you can correct that by capping the mash as Denny suggested.

You can get amazingly complicated with parti-gyle (or anything else in brewing), or keep it astonishingly simple. One of the reasons its so much fun. Just keep experimenting until you find the process that works for you.

I started doing it because I wanted to do 10+gal batches but didn’t have a big enough pot. My first time was simple 50/50 Belgian/saison. different yeasts, different hops, and different boil times = different beers. Been doing doubles every time now. This one,scotch/porter is a bit more involved but I wouldn’t call it complicated. I’m a simple man who just likes to figure.