Make up volume in secondary

Hello New member and brewer I made a batch of Kolsch last weekend and when I put it in the primary failed to make up the full 5 gal volume. I am going to rack into secondary next weekend. Can I make up the volume with sterile water then or should I just finish it? it’s about a quart and a half shy. Thanks for any advice. Jim

I’d leave it as it is.

You could add sterile water, but that will dilute the beer a bit. Unless it is too alcoholic or such, I’d just leave it also.

Thanks for the wisdom

And should you ever decide to add water post fermentation (like in secondary or after primary has died down), be sure to boil the water first. That will de-aerate it so you don’t oxidize your beer.

This was a good question. I have wondered the same thing in the past, especially when making IPAs and the hops absorbs so much of the water.

Thanks for the answer in boiling, Denny

Even if it is distilled water?

I added some to Denny’s Wry IPA after the boil.

I’m drinking it now, 10 gallons of greatness. Maybe I just got away with one this time.

Thanks Denny!

[quote=“FoamFollower”]Even if it is distilled water?

I added some to Denny’s Wry IPA after the boil.

I’m drinking it now, 10 gallons of greatness. Maybe I just got away with one this time.

Thanks Denny![/quote]

Yes, even if it is distilled it still contains O2 that would be better removed.

Ok forgive me for asking again, but I add 02 to the wort post boil once it is cooled, and I assumed that topping off with distilled would cover up my poor calculations due to losses. I was more worried about introducing an infection rather then the 02. I don’t want to make a mistake in the future and will boil the addition of distilled if needed, but why worry about oxygen at this point in the process?
I’ll be brewing your recipe again before winter Mr. Conn. It’s damn good!

O2 before ferm = good. O2 AFTER ferm = oxidation. During fermentation the yeast use the O2 to multiply.

Aha! My reading skills are lacking!
POST fermentation. I read it and somehow assumed it was post boil, pre fermentation.
I will continue to add distilled at pre fermentation if I miscalculate.