Maibock time

Still Winter by the calendar, but getting late to start a Maibock and still have enough time to lager. And I’ve got an empty fermigerator(love that word), despite having two ales going in coolers, and one traditional Bock still lagering in the kegerator, till tapping day on the 15th of March. Anyone got a Maibock going yet?
Planning on Munich Light, Pilsener malt, and Vienna malt in equal quantities along with a half pound of Carared.

Used a hop schedule consisting of Perle, Tettnanger and Hallertauer Mittelfrueh last year. LOVE a good german lager…

I’ve got one about ready to tap, but it’s a rye-bock. Basically my Maibock recipe, but I subbed in 30% rye. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I like the way you think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m was thinking of brewing a maibock next week but I’m leaning more toward a Helles just to keep the abv down.

1 Like

I need something else in the pipeline, because I probably won’t be crushing ryebocks in the yard…came out to 6.8%.

1 Like

Curious as to whats your perception to its flavor? Dad gummit Voodoo, I tore my gas set up apart, as I build my electric kettle… Thats going to be first/maiden batch… You got me anxious now… running out of time… Sneezles61

1 Like

All ready a head of ya had my mine lagering since January. I decided I would follow a brew calender this year as one new year resolution. Maibock was first beer of the new year.

3 Likes

Tapped mine after my lagering chamber melted. Needs another week or so but me and a friend hit it hard today with tastings. I’ll save some for May

1 Like

Now theres a great idea for this Forum, a dedicated brew calendar that would collaborate with old world brewing schedule… NB, you following? Sneezles61

I love traditions and I try and brew certain beers during their traditional time. For instance the maibock in late winter for spring consumption and I’ll brew my March beer(Marzen) for September(Oktoberfest)

1 Like

I like traditions too, and I thought, if there was a calendar that pulled the way the world brew 2 centuries ago and laid it out for a year… it could be a fun guide! It would only need to be done once, then an update as some other obscure brew was found/determined. I guess then you could tie a grain bill to it also! Sneezles61

I like the idea of “recipe roundup” threads… folks contribute their recipes to one thread per style. Then, the calendar could link to those threads.

3 Likes

I’ll let you know soon. I know one of my kegs is about to blow, so that will free up space for the ryebock.

1 Like

I brew a wonderful beer that started as a rye IPA. I switched out the 2row and replaced with Munich and mashed a bit warmer. I still used Magnum and amerllo but backed down the bitterness and eliminated the dry hop and called it a roggenbier. It is in high demand around hear. I had been thinking about using a lager yeast in the next batch which I guess would make it a bock. Another thing is I don’t label my beers as rye beer. You would be surprised at how many people say pooh I don’t like rye beer but love the roggenbier

2 Likes

Damn global warming!

Yes shortens lagering season. Thank God for ales

Our host has a brewing calender I could not copy the link it’s under the learning center if anyone else is interested oops here it is http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBTz5RDMNY_p4AC2Bx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTE0bGhyaDE4BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUkyRkJUM18xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1489206481/RO=10/RU=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.northernbrewer.com%2Flearn%2Fbrewing-calendar%2F/RK=0/RS=V2IET7HWwC2z9EN4bR4c94phRa8-

1 Like

Hey, now thats a great setup there! Now, if that can make its way over to here, and I would think like Ubes said, we have a way to post/use a recipe would be a fantastic tool! Thank you Damian! Sneezles61

Your welcome Sneezles. Also didn’t know if you noticed you can print it also that click the calender like dark ales and will bring up a description of dark ales for you

I didn’t try anything, just looked at a couple of months. I going back, Thanks! Sneezles61