Maibock - help with hop problem

Hello

I have a recipe for Maibock that calls for (among other things) 1oz of Hersbrucker at 60 min and another 1oz at 15 min. The kit is missing one of the 1oz packets. :frowning:

Gonna brew it up anyway, looking for suggestions, am I better off:
-Adding my 1oz at 60 min?
-Adding half at 60 and half at 15?
-Adding my 1 oz at 15 min?

Thanks!

And, if it matters, here are the other ingredients I have:
1 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
3.5 lbs Gold malt syrup (60min)
6lbs Gold malt syrup (15min)
1oz Perle hops (60min)
Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

First off, to make sure I have your recipe correct:
5 gallon batch:
1oz of Hersbrucker at 60 min
1oz Perle hops (60min)
1oz Hersbrucker at 15 min.

1 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
3.5 lbs Gold malt syrup (60min)
6lbs Gold malt syrup (15min)
Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

If so, for a 5 gallon batch your IBUs are higher than per style (style is 23-35 ibus) (you would be about 42)

If is was me, I would do the 1oz of Hersbrucker at 60 min, and the 1oz Perle hops amt 20 min.

This would put your IBUs at about 27.

This is all assuming I have your recipe correct? :mrgreen:

Thanks Maxdog! This is my first batch in over 2 years, I never even thought about IBUs, I just did the Maibock kit Northern Brewer is offering. They gave me a credit for my next purchase for leaving out the extra hops - but based on what you said, it might turn out better without them!

Will post again with results in a couple months.

If it were me,
I would definitely bitter with the Perle at 60, and then use the Hersbrucker later.
I have no idea what your AA numbers are, but pretty sure the Perle is your bitter agent.

[quote=“pinnah”]If it were me,
I would definitely bitter with the Perle at 60, and then use the Hersbrucker later.
I have no idea what your AA numbers are, but pretty sure the Perle is your bitter agent.[/quote]

Agreed. Perle is not the worst flavor hop in the world, but if it were me I’d definitely do the Perle at 60 and Hersbruker at 15. If the recipe is overly bitter for the style, this should tone that down and still give you the late-addition flavor you want.

Just my opinion…