Magnetic Stir Plate for Primary?

So, I was thinking about making a Magnetic stir plate for my starters. That got me thinking, Why not use one with my primary. If you waited at least a day or two, most of the gas that’s in the headspace of the primary should be carbon dioxide. Which means oxidation shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something that would make this a horrible idea…

Am I crazy or would this make using a really flocculant yeast much easier, and help most yeast reach a lower F.G.?

It just seems unnecessary. Stirplates are used for making starters to keep the yeast in suspension, while introducing oxygen for propagation. I guess the same would hold true for a primary, but if you pitch enough healthy yeast, it just seems a big stir plate for a primary is completely unnecessary. If you aerate your wort well there should be plenty of happy healthy yeast to ferment your beer.

I think you’d run the risk of oxidizing your beer if you ran the entire fermentation this way, but you could certainly do it for the first 24 hours.

I agree that oxidization would be an issue.

If you waited a few days for fermentation to take place, wouldn’t the carboy be filled with carbon dioxide? Filled with carbon dioxide means no oxidation, right?

Or you could just have is stir fast enough to keep yeast suspended without forming a vortex?

dobe, maybe a starter wouldn’t be needed if you kept the yeast suspended?

Give it a whirl (pun intended!) and report back with the results.

You would need a big powerful stir plate. Even then I’m not sure it will be powerful enough to move a magnetic bar through the trub.

Maybe if you were using a highly flocculant yeast and only early on. With, for example, wyeast 1056, I don’t think there would be any point. That’s going to be a monster stir-plate.

I’m no expert, but I would disagree. Underpitching stresses yeast. I don’t think keeping yeast in suspension would counteract the possible problems with underpitching. I may be totally wrong, but we’re still talking about less yeast than is adequate in a certain gravity wort. It may help with a stuck fermentation, but you’d still be stressing the yeast and could still get unwanted yeast bi-products and off flavors.

[quote=“WiVikesFan”]So, I was thinking about making a Magnetic stir plate for my starters. That got me thinking, Why not use one with my primary. If you waited at least a day or two, most of the gas that’s in the headspace of the primary should be carbon dioxide. Which means oxidation shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something that would make this a horrible idea…

Am I crazy or would this make using a really flocculant yeast much easier, and help most yeast reach a lower F.G.?[/quote]

I would like to see a stirplate that would work with a carboy on a homebrew level :shock:

Oxidations issues
Your making a starter to have the correct cell count to pitch

OK… here you go:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Stirhog-BLACK-MAXX-Stir-Plate.html

OK… here you go:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Stirhog-BLACK-MAXX-Stir-Plate.html
[/quote]

Nice…
FIgured it would be much more expensive than that, but yet I would have to see it in action and the issues discussed would still be at hand. THe vessel has a lot to do with it working. WOuld not work on BB’s scratch the hell out of buckets or anythying plastic.
Glass would be an issue on how the bottom of it is manufactured