Lucky 13.alt recipe

Has anYone come uP with a Laganista LuckY 13.alt reciPe. Sorry for the caPs. For some reason small case will not work on some letters. Also sorry if name is not right.

Sorry, I don’t have a recipe, and I haven’t been able to find one with a search either. Apparently Lagunitas does not like to share recipe info on their beers, which is probably one reason I see very few recipe attempts for any of their beers, and just about zero for this one.

Add to that the fact that they say they’ve changed the recipe and lightened up the color–cut back on the roastiness. Not sure if that was just this year or last.

Here’s all the direct info I was able to find:

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/index.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKem_AMD ... e=youtu.be

Obviously very few technical details. So, we know it’s a lot of Amarillo, amber, and 8.3%ABV.

The other clues are that they say it’s less “roasty” than before, may have some kind of spicy flavor contributed by the mix of specialty malt and the hops, and is brewed with some kind of “mystery malt”. So those few facts, combined with the approximate color, probably allow us at least to rule out a few things.

Doubt they use any dark crystal or anything else too roasty, or any garden-variety cara-malts at all. Melanoidin? Cara-Red? Cara-Aroma? Breiss Special Roast? Aromatic?

It’s really going to be hard to guess, sorry to say, but I’d start somewhere in there.

One last thing–I don’t have a bottle in front of me, but I think they give O.G. and IBU’s on their labels along with the ABV info already provided. That will help give us some parameters too, but sadly, it’s going to be a lot of guesswork :frowning: to get something better than moderately close on the first attempt.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Does amarillo hops produce piny notes as well as citrusy(orange,grapefruit) or fruity peach,mango, tropical. The reviews say Citrusy,Piny,fruity notes on the hop flavor and nose. They say there is a lot on amarillo hop in this beer. Maybe a mix of amarillo\simicoe and citra hops would hit the mark. I’am thinking magnums for primary bittering and the mix for 20,5,0, dry. Amarillo being the lion share of the mix.

My second thought was, is the spiciness coming from the hops or maybe from a dose of rye malt? So 2-3 lbs. and some carabelge(11.5-15.5L) produces a honey color @ .75-1lbs. Maybe a 50\50 mix of GWM 2r and MO as base malt. mash @ 151-152 and let the value of malt carry the body and residual sweetness. Total grain bill would be about 17-18lbs for SG 1.085-088, FG: 18-22( I think 22 would be to full and sweet, so the OG may come down a little with FG as I go. I am thinking FG:16-18 @ 7-8L

I’ll play with this one in 2gals batches and change variables to fit. California yeast 1056\S-05 or a couple other one similar to 1056 will be close to what I’ve heard they use (cali yeast).

So what do you think about this as a jumping off point? Any feed back would be nice.

Live long, brew long, drink long

[quote=“nwbrewerptld”]Thanks for the info. Does amarillo hops produce piny notes as well as citrusy(orange,grapefruit) or fruity peach,mango, tropical. The reviews say Citrusy,Piny,fruity notes on the hop flavor and nose. They say there is a lot on amarillo hop in this beer. Maybe a mix of amarillo\simicoe and citra hops would hit the mark. I’am thinking magnums for primary bittering and the mix for 20,5,0, dry. Amarillo being the lion share of the mix.

My second thought was, is the spiciness coming from the hops or maybe from a dose of rye malt? So 2-3 lbs. and some carabelge(11.5-15.5L) produces a honey color @ .75-1lbs. Maybe a 50\50 mix of GWM 2r and MO as base malt. mash @ 151-152 and let the value of malt carry the body and residual sweetness. Total grain bill would be about 17-18lbs for SG 1.085-088, FG: 18-22( I think 22 would be to full and sweet, so the OG may come down a little with FG as I go. I am thinking FG:16-18 @ 7-8L

I’ll play with this one in 2gals batches and change variables to fit. California yeast 1056\S-05 or a couple other one similar to 1056 will be close to what I’ve heard they use (cali yeast).

So what do you think about this as a jumping off point? Any feed back would be nice.

Live long, brew long, drink long[/quote]

I don’t see any problems with any of your ideas. Rye was something that popped into my head when when they mentioned the spiciness. It’s pretty much all guessing as far as the details of the specialty grains, and rye makes plenty of sense given the descriptions.

I don’t perceive much piney character in Amarillo, so your idea of using some Simcoe or similar makes sense to me.

1056 or S-05 sounds perfect to me. I have had a lot of Lagunitas stuff and I’ve never perceived anything but a very clean, neutral yeast character.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
:cheers: