Ls my Fermcap-S bad

OK I like to know if how long can you keep Fermcap-S for before it go bad.

I believe that stuff is silicone based, so it will likely have a greater half-life than weapons-grade uranium. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I don’t know why it’d go bad. I’ve got a bottle in my cupboard that I’ve had for a year or two. I don’t use it very often, but do on occasion.

[quote=“Beersk”]…I’ve got a bottle in my cupboard that I’ve had for a year or two…[/quote]Isn’t it supposed to be kept under refrigeration? At least that’s where my LHBS keeps it.

Doesn’t say anywhere on the bottle to keep it refrigerated. What needs refrigerated?

My shop also keeps it refrigerated so I do as well.

I keep mine refrigerated. Why, probably because it says keep refrigerated on the bottle.
[attachment=0]IMAG4631.jpg[/attachment]

Mine only says store below 70F with a 2 year best by date. I keep it in the fridge and I always wondered if that was too cold. Been there for 4 months and works fine.

just dont use it…it has to be filtered out anywhere else on a pro level

I’ve all but stopped using it myself. Only for starters, but I might quit doing it even for that. I’d really like to look into the Fermcap-AT, but there’s only one shop I know of that carries it in Oregon. I’d really like to use it for fermenting in kegs to prevent blowoff on 4 gallon batches.

I boil my starters in a pyrex erlenmeyer flask. 1 drop goes in a starter. I don’t use it anywhere else as it might be convenient but I haven’t found it necessary.

I use it for boilover insurance in my 30 qt turkey fryer. Should I be worried? I haven’t noticed any weirdness from it yet…

I’m definitely not qualified to answer whether you should be worried or not. Some insist it must be filtered. Others use it in every step. I just use 1 drop in starters. I BELIEVE the main ingredient is dimethylpolysiloxane which is used all over the food industry without filtering. It is tough to find an actual ingredients list. The amount used seems to be key.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... fr=173.340

I’ve all but stopped using it myself. Only for starters, but I might quit doing it even for that. I’d really like to look into the Fermcap-AT, but there’s only one shop I know of that carries it in Oregon. I’d really like to use it for fermenting in kegs to prevent blowoff on 4 gallon batches.[/quote]

how do you even get a small enough amount into a starter.
and why not just spend 10 more bucks on a bigger flask

I’ve all but stopped using it myself. Only for starters, but I might quit doing it even for that. I’d really like to look into the Fermcap-AT, but there’s only one shop I know of that carries it in Oregon. I’d really like to use it for fermenting in kegs to prevent blowoff on 4 gallon batches.[/quote]

and why not just spend 10 more bucks on a bigger flask[/quote]
I have a 4L flask and it will boil over every time while on the stove. 1 drop going into a 2L starter that will be decanted and then dumped into 6 gallons of wort is a non issue in my book.

I have a 4L flask and it will boil over every time while on the stove. 1 drop going into a 2L starter that will be decanted and then dumped into 6 gallons of wort is a non issue in my book.[/quote]

just boil in a small pot then

[quote=“grainbelt”]how do you even get a small enough amount into a starter.
I have a 4L flask and it will boil over every time while on the stove. 1 drop going into a 2L starter that will be decanted and then dumped into 6 gallons of wort is a non issue in my book.[/quote]

just boil in a small pot then[/quote]
Then I need to make sanitizer, sanitize a flask and a funnel. And clean a pot and funnel afterward. Without any evidence that a single drop of fermcap into a starter is at all bad for me, I prefer my method.