Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Low OG on Drydock Pale Ale, Need ideas

I just brewed the Drydock Pale Ale extract kit, probably the 4th or 5th time. The OG on the kit is 1.049 and I usually hit between 1.040 and 1.049.

Today my OG was 1.030 which will put my ABV at about 2.62 if my FG is 1.010 and this is just too low. I was trying to hit between 1.040-1.045 on this batch. I did a little above 2.5 gallons on the boil and topped off the carboy to the full 5 gallons (think I should have done the boil closer to 3 gallons and topped off to about 4.5 gallons and this would have put me in the range I was hoping for).

Any suggestions on how to kick the gravity up a bit and not ruin the beer (which may already may be ruined)? Thanks!

with a extract kit the og will be as stated. the only way to make it not so is by not using all the ingredients or not having the correct volume in the fermentor. variations in measured og are usually because the boiled wort and top off water not being perfectly mixed. take another sample after aeration.

Your beer is fine, as Flars stated, you can’t miss you OG unless you leave out malt. With extract kits it’s very hard to get an accurate gravity reading with out some SERIOUS shaking of the fermentor (which may introduce too much oxygen and have a negative effect).
So, your OG is there, and after 2-4 weeks, test your FG.
Prost!!!

i don’t like to post negatives, but you can’t over oxygenate with the shake and swirl method. max that can be achieved is 8 ppm. using oxygen and a stone is definitely possible to over oxygenate.

OP–are you sure all the fermentables were in your kit? I got the same kit one time sans, I believe, the three pound jug of light lme. Since then, I always do an inventory before I brew to make sure everything is there. It doesn’t sound like, from your gravity, that you’re missing a whole jug of malt, but it’s entirely possible a smaller jug got subbed in by accident. These things do happen occasionally.

I’ve been off by more than .020 on extract brews, only to restir, resample and nail the numbers. Low by a point or two, I’d say you need to do a better job measuring or getting all the extract from the bottles, but 10-20 points off is almost certainly a top-off mixing problem. No corrective action necessary, the yeast will stir it for you.

Thanks for the feedback and here are a few answers to some of your questions -

-Yes, all of the fermentables were in the kit
-I made sure to get all of the fermentables in the boils, especially the liquid malt extract (also get every last bit of this out)

I really think I just added too much water.

It’s cooking away right now with a steady pulse, but I’m wondering if I need to add some DME??

Thanks!

Why? In your OP you said you topped to 5gal. In your additional post you said you got every drop of LME out of the bottle.
If both of these are true it would be impossible for your OG to be 20 points low. Unless the shorted you on extract and you said that all was in there.
With extract your OG is set at 5gals no matter your starting boil. For example you could start with 1gal and top off with 4 or start with 4gal and top off with 1. Still 5gal.

Its wort stratification.

I have marked the 5 gallon level on each of my fermentors. Filled one with a measured 5 gallons of water, marked the water level on two sides. Used gorilla tape, with a v notch, for durability. Siphoned to fermentor #2, and then so on. Marked 5 gallon secondaries also.

The reason I say I think I added too much water is b/c when I transferred the boiled wort to the primary it was only at about the 2 gallon mark. I think there was more than the usual evaporation on this batch. It’s been my experience that evaporation is a variable that can’t always be controlled for.

Thanks again for all of the ideas.

[quote=“My1stPony”]The reason I say I think I added too much water is b/c when I transferred the boiled wort to the primary it was only at about the 2 gallon mark. I think there was more than the usual evaporation on this batch. It’s been my experience that evaporation is a variable that can’t always be controlled for.

[/quote]

Even if you ended up with only two gallons post boil, all the fermentables are still there–they don’t evaporate. So topping up to 5 gallons, even though you had to add more than expected, would not change the expected OG.

:cheers:

Ron

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com