Low OG - Mashtun?

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Some one has to say it. Spend $6 on a stainless steel braided
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-12-in-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Water-Heater-Supply-Line-FIP-x-FIP-Lead-Free-LFBK-LBF-12/203789991#.Udts9pw0s5s
water line and ditch the copper. :wink:

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/[/quote]

THIS^^^^

The SS hose worked for me maybe a couple batches…had pretty good flow. It was the “woven” kind as appose to a bazooka tub those looked more like a grid than a weave. In any event after a couple of batches it flattened out and was worthless from that point. In my mind it was restricting the sugars from getting though…I continued to get low OGs on back to back batches…I guess we can re-hash it and say you should have put aluminum wire coiled wire in it or a copper pipe… hind site is 20/20 I got tee’d off and just decided to go to what I thought was “better” for the long run instead of working on another SS piping method.

Tim

[quote=“tbilderback”]In any event after a couple of batches it flattened out and was worthless from that point. In my mind it was restricting the sugars from getting though[/quote]You sure you used a stainless braid and not a plastic one? When you cut it, did the ends poke your fingers or were they soft? Other option is that you bought a toilet/sink braid instead of the heavier water heater variety - at Home Depot these are in different sections (and the water heater style is always stainless).

[quote=“tbilderback”]The SS hose worked for me maybe a couple batches…had pretty good flow. It was the “woven” kind as appose to a bazooka tub those looked more like a grid than a weave. In any event after a couple of batches it flattened out and was worthless from that point. In my mind it was restricting the sugars from getting though…I continued to get low OGs on back to back batches…I guess we can re-hash it and say you should have put aluminum wire coiled wire in it or a copper pipe… hind site is 20/20 I got tee’d off and just decided to go to what I thought was “better” for the long run instead of working on another SS piping method.

Tim[/quote]

If water is flowing through, so are the sugars. :wink:

I use a standard sink line. I found the water heater line when I search for a link so that’s what I posted.

[quote=“tbilderback”]The SS hose worked for me maybe a couple batches…had pretty good flow. It was the “woven” kind as appose to a bazooka tub those looked more like a grid than a weave. In any event after a couple of batches it flattened out and was worthless from that point. In my mind it was restricting the sugars from getting though…I continued to get low OGs on back to back batches…I guess we can re-hash it and say you should have put aluminum wire coiled wire in it or a copper pipe… hind site is 20/20 I got tee’d off and just decided to go to what I thought was “better” for the long run instead of working on another SS piping method.

Tim[/quote]

Sounds like you got a “bad braid”! I’ve used mine for 440 batches…so far!

This was the “old” new setup before it flattened out.

Ok–what do we think?

[attachment=0]IMAG0408.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMAG0407.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMAG0406.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“tbilderback”]This was the “old” new setup before it flattened out.

Oh yeah you didn’t let that hacksaw blade rest one minute it looks like.
You should have primo flow now.

Lets hope so that baby about wore me slap out!!! Sucker gets hot too!! :cheers:

[quote=“ITsPossible”]Oh yeah you didn’t let that hacksaw blade rest one minute it looks like.
You should have primo flow now.[/quote]

All,

Just wanted to follow up on the Mashtun. That was indeed the issue once I slotted the pipe it was like night and day. No hang ups and only missed my OG by 0.003, and that was b/c I missed my mash out temp.

Thanks for all the help! Hope this post serves someone else struggling with the same issues!

Happy Brewin!

:cheers: