Lots of foam and over flow-what did i do wrong

I am using 1 gallon kits. 4 different kinds of beer. The IPA I had less in it to start and is fine the other 3 I follows the instructions and filled it up to the raised letters. I made it last night and this morning i found the locks blown apart and a mess. I sterilized everything and then used a bottle of water and house. Will this damage the beer? Attached are pictures

IMO, NB is doing a disservice to their customers with these 1g kits. They don’t sell 5 gallon carboys to primary a 5 gallon kit. Why are they selling 1 gallon jugs to ferment 1 gallon kits???

In other words, you didn’t do anything wrong.

You can only try to control the vigor of fermentation by keeping the fermenter in the cooler range of the yeast. Low 60’s. See my signature line for ideas.

Also adding some Foam Control

will help.

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/brianteel/media/20130611_064029.jpg.html

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/brianteel/media/20130611_171920.jpg.html

that is about 8 hours

Look for larger fermenters if you are going to continue 1 gallon batches. A regional gas station (Casey’s General Store) has ~2 gallon buckets that the frosting for donuts come in. They give them away for free. Punch a hole in the top. Add a grommet and air lock.

They also hold ~10lbs of grain.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Look for larger fermenters if you are going to continue 1 gallon batches. A regional gas station (Casey’s General Store) has ~2 gallon buckets that the frosting for donuts come in. They give them away for free. Punch a hole in the top. Add a grommet and air lock.

They also hold ~10lbs of grain.[/quote]

Definately. If you leave room for foam in the one gallon set up you end up with quite a bit less than a gallon of beer at the end.
The local supermarket I go to has two gallon buckets for a few dollars, in case you aren’t near a Caseys.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]IMO, NB is doing a disservice to their customers with these 1g kits. They don’t sell 5 gallon carboys to primary a 5 gallon kit. Why are they selling 1 gallon jugs to ferment 1 gallon kits???
[/quote]
Amen to this!

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch last weekend and love all the elbow room the beer has in a 5 gallon carboy. This is the first time I’ve been able to skip the blowoff tube.

But on the downside, a 2.5 gallon batch requires the same level of effort as a 5 gallon batch, minus a little heating time for water and wort.

Now if only I had not left the carboy uncovered (no airlock) all night. :oops: Another lesson on the hazards of drinking and brewing.