Loss of pressure

I’m new to kegging so forgive my: improper terminology and general ignorance to kegging.

I’ve kegged 2 batches since purchasing my kegging gear. My first was a 5 gal kit that I went through fairly quick since it was so tasty… maybe a month total. My second was a Hefeweizen that was good for its style but i’m not huge on them. This brew moved pretty slow, three months or more. When I went to get some the other day, my gauge on my Co2 tank was zero and my keg had zero pressure. Obviously a leak. Question is, where is the most common culprit for leaks? Any suggestions on how to “leak proof” my system? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Correction, keg had a small amount of pressure left in it.

Check all connections and the lid on the keg, uses star san it should bubble where there’s a leak

Food grade lube on your o-rings is a good idea to.

My recommendation is to get good at detecting leaks first, then get good at fixing them.

Star san in a spray bottle, or just applied with a clean small paintbrush (the kind you’d use to paint a picture, not a barn) on every joint. Keg Lid, both poppets. Grey Disconnect (inside and outside), beer nut/line, regulator connection/line connection, regulator/tank connection, and anything I might have left out. If you suspect there’s a leak, gas the beer and then shut off the gas (at the tank) overnight. If the next day, the keg is flat, then you have a leak.

Thanks everyone. I did use food lube. Looks like a star san bubble test is in order. Question: do any of you bubble test your every time you keg?

You should be able to find silicone grease in the faucet repair section of your favorite home improvement store. That grease is used to lubricate faucet components and is food-grade. Use that on any leaky o-rings or poppets.

No, but when I started I did. Do a few batches and you’ll know when you’re ready to jump.