Looking forward to brew again

Me getting ready again at the BREWERY and at home. My knee feels awesome. Now me for a shorttrip to bogota colombia. Yesterday did visit the. Aguila brewery. Did visit the taste room. Intresting. They brew different kind of beers. But they do use the same yeast strain.

3 Likes

More on Aguila beers? What’s first on the list when you get back to brewing?

At home a stout and a trippel ipa. At the BREWERY a witbier and a ipa. Thinking what kind of ipa. More thinking towards a trippel. Do arive sat on the island. Brew sunday. Told my brew buddy to create starters.

1 Like

wilcolandzaat- have you ever done a Tropical Stout style?
I’ve been working on one for years now, and it’s still not where I think it should be. I would be interested in getting tips from someone who has done a good one.

I love this style the tropical stout. I brew at least 10 gallons a year. Mine starts with 80% marris otter as my base and Munich malt and of course roster barley and debittered chocolate now for crystal I use a mix of 120 and 60 for up to 12 percent of my recipe I know that sounds like alot of crystal malt but it needs it to get the sweet taste and the fruit taste that a good tropical stout has. The other secret to it is lager yeast at warm tempture. California common yeast works great for this style and is what it’s normally brewed with is a lager strain at warm tempture.

1 Like

Damian, would you mind posting a recipe for your tropical stout? I’ve been wanting to play around with this style, but haven’t figured out a good starting point. It would be awesome to start with yours! Not to hijack the thread, might be a good new topic. I’ll start one if it would help.

1 Like

Yeah did try twice feel something is missing. Once i am back on island will share the recipy with you. We can compare and make together a perfect tropical stout. Did try it with fresh fruit. Not really what i did hope for. Maybe get some. Syrup from our host

Sorry guys been busy this is the last one i brewed I know it alot of crystal but this is one style that can take it with out being cloying
OG: 1.080
FG: 1.018
IBUs: 46
ABV: 8%
SRM: 46

12 lb Maris Otter
8 oz Chocolate malt
8 oz Crystal 10
8 oz Crystal 80
8 oz Crystal 120
8 oz Special B
8 oz (227 g) Roasted barley
Mash 152 for 1 hour
Hops challenger 60 minutes only addition
Yeast WLP810 San Francisco Lager at 64 degrees

1 Like

My attempts started years ago with NB’s Cherry Stout kit. I’ve added things like coffee, cocoa nibs, molasses, and then gradually cut them out. Last years batch I use 1/2 the cherry extract and hopped with Moteuka. Submitted it to a competition and got the legitimate comments that it wasn’t sweet enough and not ‘tropical enough’, whatever that meant. So this year, I dropped the cherry, added 5oz. lactose, and 1 lb of D180 Belgian candy syrup, then dryhopped with Citra and Azacca plus 1.5 lb mango puree. Used WY Munich lager yeast. It’s actually pretty good, but not anything like Lion Stout, which is my favorite. I’m going to send this to a comp. to get feedback.