Looking for some thoughts on this Hoppy IPA

13# row
2# White wheat
(maybe 1/2# corn sugar - haven’t decided about that) Mash at 148/150 for 1 hour.

Hops…
.5 oz Amarillo @ first wort,
1 oz Warrior @ 75 mins
2oz Citra @ flameout
1oz Amarillo @ F.O.
1oz Cascade @F.O.1 oz Chinook @ F.O.

and Dry hopped with…

2oz Simcoe
1 oz Amarillo
1oz centennial

5 Gallon batch
I’m Hopping to get my hands on some Heady yeast, if not probably something neutral.

I’ve never used this many hops in 1 brew so, any thoughts about how they might play together (or not play together) are appreciated!

that’s not that much hops. I would personally put another 2 oz in at 10-15min maybe 1oz each amarillo and cascade.

as far as the combo goes - looks good. Citra is rather powerful, so it may dominate the other two at that ratio. when blending, i try to keep citra at 1/3 or less otherwise it seems to take over.

Dryhop schedule looks on point - I love that combo and in those ratios!

You can get the “Heady Topper” yeast from GigaYeast GY054, though you’ll have to buy it from a retailer.

http://www.gigayeast.com/home-brew-retailers

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/vermont-ipa-yeast-gy054/

Really?
5oz at flame out and another 4 to dry hop? Not that much?
I personally like adding a lot during the last 15min of the boil (several additions), but it sure sounds like he has enough, IMO.

Really?
I personally like adding a lot during the last 15min of the boil (several additions), but it sure sounds like he has enough, IMO.[/quote]

no not that much. i brew 10 gal and use 18-20oz per batch - 2-3 for bittering, 4-6oz at 10min, 6oz whirlpool, and 6oz dryhop. about the same as what he has there, but spread differently. i was just saying that its not “outlandish” or too far out there. maybe i should have said that’s not too much hops.

what he has is fine, but depending on how he chills, he may not get much hop flavor on the flameout addition. i would blast it more, as i mentioned. but if he can hopstand or even better whirlpool at 180-200df then he’ll be good to go as is.

FWIW, I missed the 5th oz of chinook in the FO since it wasn’t in line with the others.

What do you think about moving 1 of the Citra oz from FO to 10 minutes?

sure - that would work well. how do you chill the wort?

I was going to whirlpool to about 180 then use my immersion, should get it down to a pitchable temp in 10-15 mins.

I would briefly turn on your IC to drop to 190-195, throw in the flameout addition then cover and whirlpool for 30 minutes or up to 50 min (i usually do 30). if you do that, i’d leave your recipe as is - you’ll get plenty of flavor from those whirlpool additions.

So get from 212 to 195 before the F.O. addition? I’m all for experimentation, what will it do for me?

yeah. you can read up a lot on hopstand/whirlpooling either on this forum, the web or in Mitch Steele’s book. but the basic premise is that isomerization of alpha acids continues, albeit at a steeply declining rate, at temps below boiling down to 180. but the warm temps (i.e. above 120-140ish) still extract a lot of the oils and aromatics that we want from the hops.

I like to drop to 185-190 (I said 195 for you because you’re in a much colder climate) and then add the FO/WP hops so I can lock in the IBUs before the hopstand/wp and still get the flavors from that big addition.

if you add them at the actual flameout, you will need to factor in some IBU contribution from them.

either way works, i’ve just been preferring to drop and then add since the IBU calcs are less fuzzy.

Really?
I personally like adding a lot during the last 15min of the boil (several additions), but it sure sounds like he has enough, IMO.[/quote]
I couldn’t agree more. That’s more than enough hops for an IPA, in my opinion. My only concern with that recipe is the grain bill, which seems a bit one-dimensional to me. I’d put in at least a touch of caramel malt or a little biscuit or victory or something. I’m thinking there’s not much malt backbone there to keep the flavor balanced and interesting.

guess I should have italicized the “that” geez… :roll:

As to the Malt bill, I had originally a pound of Munich in there, but I took it out. I like the wheat, I had thought about Victory, Munich and Vienna to build the bill a little, I’m not opposed to putting something back in, but I want this to be a hop forward brew.
Like I said though, I’m open to trying something, maybe a few oz of C60?
I typically don’t like a lot of malt in my IPA’s, but I like I said, I’m open to new stuff!

Yeah throw in a pound of Munich and you won’t be disappointed. I did in my last pale ale and it’s fantastic!