Looking for some SMaSH recipes with MO

Hi,
i’ve read a bit about Marris Otter and not sure I’ve ever had it. Anyway, I can’t seem to hone in on an actual recipe. I know the malt i want but I’m on the fence with the hop. I leaning toward fuggles (never had fuggles but read a lot of good stuff), cascade, amarillo, or maybe mosaic.

also I’ve read increase boil to 90 minutes to bring out flavor in MO. I’ve never done that - do i just change boil time in calculator? …and obviouslyboil for an extra 30 mins.

what about abv and IBU - i’m thinking to start low (5%) and smooth (<40 ibu). has anyone ramped this up to say 9% and >60 ibu?

In my experience you don’t need a 90 minute boil with MO.

If it were my first time using maris otter I’d go with East Kent Goldings as the hop in SMASH. Not US Goldings! Styrian Goldings, First Gold, are Target are other good options in my opinion.

I would use Mosaic. There is no good reason for that, but you could call the brew MoMo.

http://brewtoad.com/recipes/smash-ipa-ma-col

I did one using Columbus that turned out well (the recipe is above and is right on the edge between pale ale and ipa so you can call it either). I would recommend aiming for those ibu’s with any of the hops you mentioned and not doing the dry hop so that you can get a better sense of the malt.

I just volunteered the other day, at our brew club, to do a SMASH with MO and EKG. Another member is going to match me with UKG to taste the difference. I figured we would do an once at 60,5, and DH. Mash at 154. Should be interesting.

that’s awesome :smiley:

how about a yeast selection - i have 04, 05, windsor, denny’s fave on hand but also have access to most anything. I was thinking denny’s yeast and mosaic hops now. If anyone feels that this will produce a crappy beer for whatever reason, please let me know.

I did a smash with simcoe and it came out awesome. I used all munich and not MO, but might be just as good with MO.

60 minute boil….

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

12 lbs Munich Malt - Bonlander (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 100.0 %
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 13.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 31.4 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 19.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

I know of a brewer who won first place in a competition with an IPA, thus: MO, Citra and Chico.

garretd, thanks, i do like simcoe and i’ll want to try all malts at some point so, i will probably try this down the road a bit.

I recently kicked a keg of MO, Citra, East coast ale yeast. Awesome beer! But I do love me some Citra. Some don’t like it by itself, but I’m a huge fan. On the other hand, an all Simcoe anything makes me cringe.

If you want to go the American route - Cen. Ten. Ee. Al. and us-05. Love simcoe, but not as a single hop. Centennial is the best (and really only) hop I like in a single hop beer, though admittedly I haven’t had mosaic this way or some of the pacific rim hops other than galaxy (which you could also use)

If British - EKG or Fuggles and s-04.

I would NOT use s-04 with american hops nor would i use 05 with british hops.

[quote=“Pietro”]If you want to go the American route - Cen. Ten. Ee. Al. and us-05. Love simcoe, but not as a single hop. Centennial is the best (and really only) hop I like in a single hop beer, though admittedly I haven’t had mosaic this way or some of the pacific rim hops other than galaxy (which you could also use)

If British - EKG or Fuggles and s-04.

I would NOT use s-04 with american hops nor would i use 05 with british hops.[/quote]

thanks for all the input i’m gonna go with

mo, mosaic (yes, i am calling it MoMo SMaSH…thanks for that), 05 then the following week mo, ekg, 04 - - - - -hope i don’t fing out that i don’t like MO… :shock:

I recently kicked a keg of MO, Citra, East coast ale yeast. Awesome beer! But I do love me some Citra. Some don’t like it by itself, but I’m a huge fan. On the other hand, an all Simcoe anything makes me cringe.[/quote]
Oh yeah. Some types of hops shine in a blend. Some types of hops shine on their own. Citra shines by it’s self.
I love tasting different Citra variations. Can’t wait to break open the lb. of Citra that I have on ice. I’m looking for a little “mew”. If possible.